Esteemed Contributor

“Bleed Out” - Medical errors are so common!! New Documentary

[ Edited ]

Medical errors in hospitals are the 3rd highest cause of deaths in the US!!!  Has anyone else seen this? It’s a new, powerful documentary on HBO. It will make you very nervous about going to the hospital! The doc is very well done.....

Respected Contributor

Re: “Bleed Out” medical errors are so common!! New Documentary

I better not watch it.  I'm already leary since working in a hospital and from several personal experiences.  Anymore info and I would be a nervious wreck if I had to be hospitalized again!  Altho for the most part, they do an amazing job and we are lucky to have them.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: “Bleed Out” medical errors are so common!! New Documentary

No, I haven't seen it but not surprised based on personal experience with family, and friends' experiences.  Awful and very frightening. 

Honored Contributor

Re: “Bleed Out” - Medical errors are so common!! New Documentary

I watched a news segment on the dangers of robotic surgery..... tears, punctures, burns.... and deaths from surgery’s using this new method.  The doctors are not trained well enough is part of the problem leading to mistakes. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I caught a life threatening MRSA infection from the hospital bed sheets, and had a gigantic starburst boil which turned deep purple, black and yellow with large red streaks and I almost died.  They flooded me with strong antibiodics for close to 1 1/2 weeks and then gave me a load of scripts to fill and take. Really almost did me in and I never felt comfortable in any medical situation.

My Mom had surgery and they left the small scissoes in her body when they stitched her closed.

She kept complaining of pain when she moved but since she had surgery the Surgeon  insisted the pain she felt was normal, and I insisted he take an xray many times when I brought her in and he refused, so I paid for my own ambulance and took her from his medical office into the best Hospital I knew would help her .

They performed an xray the minute she came in

The cause was two vital organs were punctured by the scissors they never removed from her body.. 

The Cervix and the Uterus.

God Bless them because they worked professionally and immediately and performed surgery, tied the bleeders off, and removed the scissors, but I was also relieved when I asked for the xray and they said to come back in 1 week and pay for it in their records room.

Took it to a highly recommended Medical Negligence Attorney who  read the report and looked at the xray from the Hospital and Suregon, and we prompted sued for medical negligence by Jury and won.

(No we did not wish to settle with the Insurance Company, even though they asked many times and kept raising the settlement amount., but for our case we all decided it was to be trial by Jury unanimously which was a trial by Jury case so much higher than the largest insurance settlement amount they offered.)

On another Hospital visit when I was a teenager  I came down with sepsis, which is also life threatening when I had my tonsils removed.

Both MRSA and Sepsis are both very well known life threatening conditions in all medical settings, and that is frightening!

Now ever since then all my famiily are very leery about any medical /dental visit of any kind, and pray we all remain healthy with no complicaitons.

Honored Contributor

@GiantsLover wrote:

I caught a life threatening MRSA infection from the hospital bed sheets, and had a gigantic starburst boil which turned deep purple, black and yellow with large red streaks and I almost died.  They flooded me with strong antibiodics for close to 1 1/2 weeks and then gave me a load of scripts to fill and take. Really almost did me in and I never felt comfortable in any medical situation.

My Mom had surgery and they left the small scissoes in her body when they stitched her closed.

She kept complaining of pain when she moved but since she had surgery the Surgeon  insisted the pain she felt was normal, and I insisted he take an xray many times when I brought her in and he refused, so I paid for my own ambulance and took her from his medical office into the best Hospital I knew would help her .

They performed an xray the minute she came in

The cause was two vital organs were punctured by the scissors they never removed from her body.. 

The Cervix and the Uterus.

God Bless them because they worked professionally and immediately and performed surgery, tied the bleeders off, and removed the scissors, but I was also relieved when I asked for the xray and they said to come back in 1 week and pay for it in their records room.

Took it to a highly recommended Medical Negligence Attorney who  read the report and looked at the xray from the Hospital and Suregon, and we prompted sued for medical negligence by Jury and won.

(No we did not wish to settle with the Insurance Company, even though they asked many times and kept raising the settlement amount., but for our case we all decided it was to be trial by Jury unanimously which was a trial by Jury case so much higher than the largest insurance settlement amount they offered.)

On another Hospital visit when I was a teenager  I came down with sepsis, which is also life threatening when I had my tonsils removed.

Both MRSA and Sepsis are both very well known life threatening conditions in all medical settings, and that is frightening!

Now ever since then all my famiily are very leery about any medical /dental visit of any kind, and pray we all remain healthy with no complicaitons.

@GiantsLover  Horrendous!  I am so glad you sued.  If a patient complains of pain, it is the doctor's responsibility to investigate it, not to turn someone away.

I knew a young girl, years ago, who went to the hospital for a virus, I think, can't remember exactly, caught an infection, and lost half of each limb, that scared me to bits.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

MOUSIEGIRL,

I ALWAYS WENT WITH MY GUT FEELING AND MANY TIMES I KNEW SOMETHING WAS WRONG, AND WHEN YOU GET THAT FEELING ITS TIME TO ACT FAST, AND DO WHAT YOU KNOW IS IN YOUR BEST INTEREST, OR IN THE BEST INTEREST OF ANYONE YOU CARE ABOUT AND LOVE.

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY.

Honored Contributor

We have good reason to be very leary of doctors and hospitals.  The least we see them, the better.  It would take a major crisis for us to visit either.  If you knew the history, you would understand why.  Our lives and health have been impacted in major ways due to surgical errors and mistakes.  

Respected Contributor

Working in the medical field for 20 years I know that Doctors are just regular people and do not have super powers and I am very leary of them.  We have no choice but to hope they know what they are doing. My husband thinks they are all knowing and what they say is the gospel.  I have told him he has to take control of his own health and not just take every pill they give him but he will not listen.  

Respected Contributor

This is not new news.  It has been a problem for quite some time.  I read an article last year that said there are hundreds of people who die every day due to medical errors while in the hospital.

This would be the equivalent of a plane crashing everyday.  And, you know if that happened something would be done about it.