Contributor

Anyone remember "Design Star"?

I used to love that decorating/design competition on HGTV.  It's been several years since they've done one, and I miss it.  What fun it was - the white box challenge, and all.  Sigh.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting tired of remodeling/rehab/redo/flipping shows.  I need cheaper and less invasive options and things I can do myself.  Oh well.  things tend to run in cycles, but I'm sure tired of pedaling through another house buying show.

Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone remember "Design Star"?

I remember! It was one of our favorite shows on HGTV.  Vern Yip was a judge, it was great! I never watch that channel now, because as you say, every show is the same show.  The Food Network is like that too.  They are all just challenges (Chopped, Beat Bobby Flay, and some All Star Chef challenge like Chopped.) I miss shows like Alton Brown's Good Eats and shows that were geared toward the home cook (not a CHEF).

Respected Contributor

I loved to watch that show and as a matter of fact I used to watch all of the  Saturday night design shows on HGTV from a few years back and go to the website for design inspiration. I don't watch that channel anymore since they got rid of them.  I was hoping your post was stating they were bringing those shows back.

Respected Contributor

For me the Food Network has become one game show after another. 

When the Cooking Channel premiered the slogan was real cooking all the time. Now, that channel has added food challenges to their line up. 

It's pathetic. Some of us enjoy basic cooking shows, but I guess I'm in the minority.

Esteemed Contributor

I loved the show and especially the white box challenge.  Unfortunately, I don't believe any of the winners had much success on HGTV except for David Bromstad.  I found him likeable but didn't care for, nor watched, any of his shows.

Wasn't there a short-lived series centered around the white box challenge?  Occasionally, I will see a rerun of the show.  I remembered seeing it advertised a few years ago but never knew when it aired.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Somewhere along the line HGTV elected to become the real estate channel and I think people are sick of the endless remodelling, house hunter types of shows.  I want decorating and gardening.  I'd love to see some craft shows again, you know....home and garden stuff like their name.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Yes, that was a fun show!  They need to bring it back or similar shows!  I agree with you totally.  I few of those house buying shows are o.k. but they need more variety.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin