Trusted Contributor

Re: Any Barbie Movie Reviews?

@NYCLatinaMe I mentioned to my dh that I thought Ryan seemed like almost a character actor meaning his expressions, facial expresions, his blinking while looking so full of himself, honestly his being so full of himself.  & I like him but this was like so being him.  

Trusted Contributor

I saw it last night with a group of women.  We are all in our 60's and grew up w/Barbie.

My thoughts:

It started off  "campy" - very cute with all the versions of Barbie over the years, including accessories and clothes.  And the same w/Ken.  Must say, I am a Ryan G fan.  Michael Cera as Allan, Ken's friend, was funny.  

At one point I thought "what am I doing here??".  

The movie got a little heavy, including with the woman Ruth, who invented Barbie, and Barbie trying to figure out at the end who she was.  Again, how I looked at the movie.

Did I love it?  No, but I'm glad I saw it.  Margot Robbie was perfect as Barbie. 

Esteemed Contributor

I actually have no desire to see it. Barbie was never my thing in the first place. However, for those of you who are interested, HGTV is doing one of their Battle  shows where designers compete, this time it's a real Barbie dream house. So far they have done two episodes, but they are rerunning them as they add new ones. It's not exactly the kind of house anyone would want to buy, but it's kind of fun to see their imaginations. So far I have watched the battle between Jasmiine and her partner against Egypt and her husband and then Tye and Allison against Jon Knight and his partner. It was just fun.