Honored Contributor

ATTENTION SUSAN HAYWARD FANS-- UPCOMING MOVIE!

4:00 a.m. Eastern, Thursday--  "I Thank a Fool"  Susan Hayward, Peter Finch, Diane Cilento

OK, it's "Peter Finch Day",  but this little gem with Susan Hayward is buried in the wee hours, and cannot be missed by fans who have either insomnia, a DVR, or the desire to get up early!

This is a sudsy romantic-suspense-melodrama hybrid perfect for Susan's histrionic talents.  She is a despairing physician who has been convicted for "irregularities" (euthanasia?) in practice.  Who should come along but handsome Peter Finch, her former prosecutor, who, unbelievably, hires her to be a companion to his fragile, troubled, beautiful wife, the cello-voiced Diane Cilento (sidebar-- this Brit was once Mrs. lucky Sean Connery, ha.)

Hayward quickly comes to realize that all is not as it seems in the unusual household, and complications multiply, including a growing rapport with her employer Finch and a possible murder frame-up... 

People seem to adore Susan Hayward--  I always fall back on the partial explanation as having something to do with her great "vitality".  She does seem to leap through the screen with her "realness" and likeablity, whatever the part she's playing.   Do you have a favorite Susan Hayward role?

Honored Contributor

Re: ATTENTION SUSAN HAYWARD FANS-- UPCOMING MOVIE!

Susan is one of my favorites!  I dont think I have seen this movie, so I will record it!

I like all the movies she was in but I think my favorite is  I'll Cry Tomorrow.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Oh, she was so good in that, @Imaoldhippie!  She seems to excel at playing women in extreme circumstances, and her natural magnetism just pulls us along...

Honored Contributor

I just remembered  Back Street, what a good romantic movie.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell Thank you for the heads up ,  set up my dvr, love Susan Hayward and have never seen this particular movie with her!  It sounds like a great movie and with her as the lead how can it not be !

My absolute favorite S. Hayward movie is Backstreet, still waiting for that to air.  I know there was another version shown ,  but the one with John Gavin and Susan Hayward is the one I love .  I will say it is my favorite movie by far ... What a tear jerker and what fabulous acting 😺.  I do wonder why it is never aired.

Thanks again I know all of us that love the "oldie" movies appreciate your letting us know what's coming up and your take and synopsis on these movies .  I enjoy reading all your thoughts.😀

Honored Contributor

Thank you, kind @Kitty Galore, enjoy!

Respected Contributor

I Want To Live— melodramatic to be sure. 

Regular Contributor

With A Song In My Heart (1952)..The Jane Froman Story. So many Hayward favorites but this is right up there.

Valued Contributor

Thanks for the information. I've never seen that film.

Susan Hayward is one of my favorite actresses along with Maureen O'Hara and Debbie Reynolds.

My favorite Susan Hayward film is With a Song In My Heart.

I cry every time.

“We should be too big to take offense and too noble to give it.” Abraham Lincoln