Honored Contributor

ALL-DAY BARBARA STANWYCK FESTIVAL SATURDAY TCM, YAY

3116.jpg

TCM's kicking off "Summer Under the Stars" with a bang with the evergreen Barbara Stanwyck.  One of my all time favorites of classic film. 

The offerings range from "Gambling Lady" at 6:00 a.m. Eastern, and of course include "Double Indemnity",  "Meet John Doe",  and "Ball of Fire".  Here's the full schedule:

http://www.tcm.com/schedule/index.html?tz=EST&sdate=2020-08-01 

Lesser-seen gems not to be missed:

9:00 a.m. Eastern--  "B.F.'s Daughter"    Powerful mogul's daughter is attracted to a bohemian professor.  Charles Coburn as her father, and Stanwyck and Van Heflin as the love-tossed couple, are all terrific.  Soapy but good.

11:00 a.m. Eastern--  "Crime of Passion"   Barbara Stanwyck, Sterling Hayden, Raymond Burr   

Sizzle!  One of her best, late-period noirs.  Babs leaves hard-driving journalism to marry honest cop Sterling Hayden, and tries to further his career by cozying up to his boss, randy opportunist Raymond Burr.  Great film in that it starts out one way, then turns into a scorching suspenser that you couldn't anticipate.

The three films that follow, "East Side, West Side", and "The Two Mrs. Carrolls", and "Clash by Night"  ARE a bit overexposed, but she's great in all, and she gets to star again with the always perfect Van Heflin again in "East...", a bonus for me.

A quite satisfying line-up.  Stanwyck was so prolific, they always end up leaving off some goodies--  for example, they almost never show the smoldering "The File on Thelma Jordon" (maybe there are pesky property rights preventing its airing?).  But this'll do for a summer's day Stanwyck sampler!

Honored Contributor

Re: ALL-DAY BARBARA STANWYCK FESTIVAL SATURDAY TCM, YAY

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  Thanks for the reminder.  Summer Under the Stars is one of my favorite events on TCM.  I note that Ball of Fire is being shown in prime time.  Great movie, IMO, and Cooper should have done more comedies!

Wish they were showing Baby Face, an early BS classic.

Just checked the entire schedule.  Good to see some living actors, Beatty and Hawn, and some more obscure ones, Diana Dors.  A good variety.

Trusted Contributor

It is going to be a great day for movies! Recorder is locked and loaded!

Thanks Oxnell for the reminder!

Honored Contributor

Excellent actress!!  Any movie stanwyck is in is a gem because she is in it!!  Her acting is among the best of her time!

Trusted Contributor

WHAT?? No "Stella Dallas"? Barbara Stanwyck was such a prolific actress that they couldn't fit all of her great movies into 24 hours

Respected Contributor

One of the true greats. Always elegance and class. The 

crews she worked with loved her for her generosity and kindness.

I don't think she ever gave a less than excellent performance.

Super Contributor

My all-time favorite movie is "There's Always Tomorrow".

Honored Contributor

Wish they would  show  'Walk on the Wild Side' think it was called.

Suppose to be kind of kinky . LOL

Respected Contributor

I'm looking forward to watching all the stars, but I especially like Barbara Stanwyck. Thanks for the reminder @Oznell 

Honored Contributor

I thought that was a Stanwyck movie 'Walk  on the Wild side' that's got that ol' Lawrence Harvey in it. Ugh..........Jane Fonda plays the bad girl.