Honored Contributor

Re: Twilight Zone - Wm Shatner On Plane-Tonight!

Aaack! It's not on so I googled the scedule again which said in tiny print that it is in CENTRAL time.
Honored Contributor

I'm glad I stayed up the extra hour to see this at 12:30a.m. in the eastern time zone. Shatner did a fine piece of acting. In fact, before he became the do-right heroic leader of the Starship Enterprise, he played a number of psycho parts really well. This show and the TZ I mentioned earlier with the fortune telling machine, and also in a The Fugitive episode as a former policeman who runs a boy's camp with his wife Julie Somers. Heck, if he hadn't gotten the Star Trek gig he may have been typecast as Tony Perkins was. 😄
Respected Contributor

Some context.

Based on the 1961 short story by famed sci-fi and fantasy writer, Richard Matheson (I Am Legend), “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” centers on a man who begins to question his sanity during an airplane flight when he seems to be the only one able to see a gremlin tearing up the engine on the wing. In the story, the man—simply named “Wilson”—is flying alone.

The 15 most memorable moments in William Shatner's 50-year career ...

The Twilight Zone episode from 1963, Robert Wilson (played by a very young William Shatner) is traveling with his wife after suffering a nervous breakdown. This wrinkle of mental instability was a stroke of storytelling genius from Matheson (he adapted his own story) because it makes the other characters, including Wilson’s own wife (played by Christine White), wary of his claims about a man on the wing. It also makes the audience question whether or not he’s simply hallucinating.

He finally snaps, pilfers a fellow passenger’s gun, opens the emergency door and shoots the gremlin dead. While he’s being carted away at the very end, the camera pans down to reveal that the wing has indeed been damaged, confirming Wilson's insane claims.

3 ONE Thing Lessons Straight from The Twilight Zone | Twilight ...

The Twilight Zone': Trying To Decode Jordan Peele's Remake Of ...

Despite the goofy-looking design of the gremlin on the plane, “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet” is one of the most famous (not to mention beloved) pieces of television ever produced. It was later remade by George Miller (Mad Max: Fury Road) for 1983’s Twilight Zone: The Movie and parodied countless times in pop culture.

Honored Contributor

Hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the gremlin was goofy looking!
@MorningLover. How about crediting the source you are using?
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
Hahaha. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the gremlin was goofy looking!
@MorningLover. How about crediting the source you are using?

@Pearlee, Sorry I forgot to list it. Here's the article.

Feb. 2019 Forbes 

'The Twilight Zone': Trying To Decode Jordan Peele's Remake Of 'Nightmare At 20,000 Feet'

The article starts out by talking about the remake.

CBS All Access gave us our first good glimpse at Jordan Peele’s reboot of The Twilight Zone, the classic anthology series originally created by Rod Serling.

If you’re a die-hard fan of the OG show—which ran from 1959 to 1964 for a total of 5 seasons and 156 episodes—you probably noticed the blink-and-you’ll-miss-it references to iconic episodes such as “Nick of Time” and “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet.”

In particular, Adam Scott (Parks and Recreation) is starring in the remake of “Nightmare,” the latter part of its title updated to “30,000 Feet” for the 2019 adaptation. When the episode was first announced, fans most likely assumed that it was only the title that would be tweaked, but based on the trailer, it looks as if the entire concept is receiving a nearly-unrecognizable makeover.

Honored Contributor

Thanks @MorningLover. Ugh, no way I'd watch a remake with Adam S. Shatner was perfect and IMO no remake would be as good.
Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee 

Just seeing this, so I missed it...but know the episode well.

It was a completely goofy looking thing, but sent electric into my bones....as I hate flying anyway, so the idea of seeing something...anything, on the wings...well, that's enough to drive me to the floor and under my seat.

Those old TZ shows were the best!!

Honored Contributor

@Witchy Woman I hate flying too so it wouldn't take much to put me over the edge either.

Respected Contributor

Pearley wrote:

..I much prefer the one he was in as a newlywed where he and his wife go to a diner and there is that creepy fortune telling machine on their table where you put in a quarter and it tells your fortune and Shatner gets obsessed with it, wanting to know his future! Now that one gave me the creeps!..

Here it is...

“Nick of Time” Season Two, Episode 43
November 18, 1960

Rod Serling:

“You’ve probably run across these penny machines that tell your fortune.  You put a penny in and out comes a card.  Only this particular machine, is a little bit unique in that the fortunes that it tells happen to come true.  A most intriguing tale called ‘The Nick of Time’ by Mr. Richard Matheson.

The fortune teller from The Twilight Zone episode, “Nick Of Time ...

Rod Serlin’s Opening Narration:

“The hand belongs to Mr. Don S. Carter, male member of a honeymoon team en route across the Ohio countryside to New York City.  In one moment they will be subjected to a gift most humans never receive in a lifetime.  For one penny they’ll be able to look into the future.The time is now, the place is a little diner in Ridgeview, Ohio.  And what this young couple doesn’t realize is that this town happens to lie on the outskirts of the Twilight Zone.”

The Twilight Zone 2.7 – Nick of Time – Fire Breathing Dimetrodon Time

A lot more info on this site

~ The Twilight Zone Vortex: Nick of Time

You unlock this door with the key of imagination . . .

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee   I thought the monster on the plane wing was the phoniest looking one I had ever seen, lol.