Respected Contributor

Re: 1st movie as a child you saw, or took a child to see?

[ Edited ]

The first movie I remember going to see in a theater was The Snow Queen! My dad took the three of us. It was in the early 1960's. I loved it and always remember it!

7901735_orig.gif

We often went to the drive-in with my parents but all I remember there was wearing our pajamas,  getting on the swings, eating food from the snack bar and falling asleep on the platform bed my dad made to fit the back seat of his 1957 Chevy for us! Wow! Nice memories!🤗

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
For me, Mary Poppins.

Me too.  I think it was at a drive-in.

We seldom went to the movies.  I remember going to see Dr. Doolittle (the origingal with Rex Harrison, not the Eddie Murphy one) with my aunt and cousins. We went to a real movie theater for that one.  I remember we got all dressed up for it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The first movie I remember seeing was Them!  I was 4 or 5 years old and I probably slept through most of it but remember seeing those giant ants in the tunnel.   In addition to being a big Hitchcock fan, my mother also loved sci-fi!!!

Have to admit that unlike many posting here, I didn't see a Disney movie until Pollyanna and by then I was almost a teenager!!!

Valued Contributor

My mother wasn't the best at choosing first movies.  Mine was Bambi.  I cried hysterically.  My sister's was Little Women.  She announced -- loudly -- "If Beth dies -- I'm leaving."   Beth died -- and off they went!

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I remember taking our son to Disney's Cat movie.  Name escapes me now, but also to 101 Dalmations.  Remember Bambi too.  How about Lady and the Tramp.  I think that may have been a first for me.  Or, Peter Pan.  Thank Heavens for Disney. 

`" Aristocats "

Regular Contributor

Bambi

Respected Contributor

New release of 1960's   101 Dalmations   in the movie theater. i could barely see over the seat in front of me.

bits and pieces of   Days of Wine And Roses  in the drive-in . i woke up during the "Greenhouse" scene. my mother said they are looking for the babie's bottle. go back to sleep.

Goldfinger : in the drive-in.  woke up when Odd Job thew his hat at the statue and also in the "Golden Nude Woman" scene.

A theater Re-release of Fantasia with my 4-yr old son.  i had seen this on another occasion also on the big screen . i loved it and thought he would too!   

he would not sit still for even 5 minutes.  we had to leave because he was playing and jumping on the seats. it was a matinee and there were a few others on the audience.

Honored Contributor

Old Yeller.  Scarred me for life.  Anyone I have ever asked who saw this when they were little told me confidently that they shot the dog and the movie ended.  The dog died and that was all and we went home.

Yep, that's what I remember. 

Frequent Contributor

My father took me to see Sleeping Beauty, he passed away when I was 8 years old so that was a very special memory for me. 

Trusted Contributor

The first movie I recall seeing was not in a movie theater or at a drive in but at a local grammar school where they would show kids/Disney movies in their auditorium. Dumbo is the first movie that I saw there. 

The first drive in movie that my parents took me to was The Three Lives of Thomasina.