I don't understand why I fall in love with something only to find it doesn't come in petites.  Kim Gravel is a prime example of this.  I loved her pedal pushers and the maxi dress today but can't buy either.

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

It's not the designers, it's what the QVC buyers buy from them. Evidently Kim is limited in what she can make in petite sizes. 

Respected Contributor

Petites are being phased out in many stores. For me to buy clothing it has to be petite. I will not pay for alterations unless it is for a family wedding. 

Honored Contributor

I've always had to have pants and skirts/dresses shortened.  It's just the way it is.  If I like something, I consider the cost of shortening it with the price of the item.  I found 2 local, independent, tailors that do my alterations for a more than reasonable price.  

I have a tall SIL.  She has trouble finding pants and jeans long enough.  At least I can shorten mine.  She can't add to hers.

Trusted Contributor

@CalminHeart wrote:

I've always had to have pants and skirts/dresses shortened.  It's just the way it is.  If I like something, I consider the cost of shortening it with the price of the item.  I found 2 local, independent, tailors that do my alterations for a more than reasonable price.  

I have a tall SIL.  She has trouble finding pants and jeans long enough.  At least I can shorten mine.  She can't add to hers.

A true petite is more than shorter in the length.  The proportions are petite, as in the rise is shorter.  If I buy regular sized pants, the waist is right under my boobs.  All of QVC's clothes have taken a huge jump.  I haven't noticed the same percentage of a jump in brick and mortar stores.  Plus, when I shop at other sites, they have true sales.  When they have items on clearance, it's more than a mere $3 off.  QVC might as well put a sign up that says we don't want your business.  Which is fine with me, I save money shopping other places.

Esteemed Contributor

I can only buy petites. The tops are too long in regular. I am only 5'1 and the tops come down to the top of my knees. The pants are too long and not made for a petite. I get tired of listening to them tell you it fits everyone. This is just so dishonest.

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree with everyone here.  I have to have 90% of clothing shortened.  Very few designers make tops or pants that fit me.  I am 5' tall and 1x.

Unfortunately, I like a lot of Logo designs but they are way too long.  Also, unless a top is a straight hemline (which most of Logo is not) my tailor cannot shorten them.  I end up with not a lot of choices.

I also get tired of hearing it said "they will work on everyone."

Honored Contributor

@Lila4Now wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

A true petite is more than shorter in the length.  The proportions are petite, as in the rise is shorter.  If I buy regular sized pants, the waist is right under my boobs.  All of QVC's clothes have taken a huge jump.  I haven't noticed the same percentage of a jump in brick and mortar stores.  Plus, when I shop at other sites, they have true sales.  When they have items on clearance, it's more than a mere $3 off.  QVC might as well put a sign up that says we don't want your business.  Which is fine with me, I save money shopping other places.

Agreed.  I've found that some styles are ok in regular sizes and others aren't.  

Regular Contributor
J. Jill, Talbots, Land's End, Eddie Bauer, Sundance Catalog, L.L.Bean, Coldwater Creek and many others have no problem offering petites. QVC offers maxi dresses and pants more frequently in petite but leaves tops in regular misses sizes for petites to contend with. We have petite torsos just like our legs, not regular dimension tops. The occasional top offered in a petite is presented as if it is a special favor to us. Why?? It seems discriminatory to continually overlook this QVC shopping demographic. Not everyone is 5'6 and above.