Honored Contributor

Re: making comparisons

[ Edited ]

Taxes don't change, but shipping prices are creeping up. $5.50 on many things that were $3.50 a few weeks ago, etc. I have taken many things out of my cart in the past after seeing the tax and shipping added to the price of the item. Doesn't sound like much money, but it does add up.

Esteemed Contributor

Not every host does this. This just shows how willing she is to stretch and push the card, to make a sale! I've seen many hosts who do not sink to this. 

And does the Q watch and discipline? Ummmmm, hardly!

Super Contributor
Every host does this. When you shop from any online site the tax is not added until after you attempt to check out and add your details. It is called pre order estimate. At least on QVC easy pay, I do not use, and the ship & handling is shown on the left of the screen you are viewing. Everyone knows about the tax. Rachel Boseing is famous for stating her 20$ bill alerts. This is untrue as the under 20$ will be more once the ship & tax is added .
New Contributor
@CalminHeart, The point here has nothing to do with knowing your state's tax rate, it's about the fact that the implication is that the new sale price isn't taxed or includes tax.

Honored Contributor

@Bevkat wrote:
@CalminHeart, The point here has nothing to do with knowing your state's tax rate, it's about the fact that the implication is that the new sale price isn't taxed or includes tax.

I understand what you're saying. IMO, I don't see any such implication. We are all adults and know everything is taxed. I just bought a new couch and the store people never mentioned tax until I paid for it. That's fine with me because we know tax is always added to the price. I still think it's our responsibility to know how much we're spending.  

Super Contributor

@Bevkat wrote:

Just a thought, since Q is based in PA, and PA does not tax clothing (yet)  maybe this is the reason why tax is not mentioned. 

Super Contributor

Thats true, but that's not what's being discussed here.  Shawn's example is deceptive! 

Honored Contributor

Re: making comparisons

[ Edited ]

@Bevkat wrote:

There is no implication. Every store advertisement, email identifying sales, special product ads, weekly grocery ads, etc, list the price of the items without tax. We're all adults and should know better than to think there isn't tax because they didn't say it.