Occasional Contributor

I'm a big QVC customer.  I think it is terribly wrong for Shawn K. to compare an item's "regular QVC price" WITH TAX and SHIPPING to that same item that is now clearance or on sale WITHOUT stating WITH TAX and SHIPPING.  This is not a fair comparison and is misleading to your customer.  I'm surprised every time she does that (which is all the time) and QVC lets her do that!  Isn't anyone in charge listening?  For example an item that was $50 Shawn will say it would have cost $60 with tax and shipping and now it's $34.  With tax and shipping that $34 item is going to cost $40 but she just leaves it at $34.  It's almost like false advertising.  It's just now right and when she keeps doing that I turn her off.  Thanks for listening and I hope that you tell her NOT to do that any more.

Trusted Contributor

Very good point.

Respected Contributor

They have done it for years and will continue to do it. They also very wrongly indicate "a savings" from the difference between a Sale/Clearance Price with the QVC Price, despite the fact that mosts items are sold at the Featured Price or TSV Price, not the QVC Price.

Occasional Contributor
@bethelbabe...I was so glad to read your post because that maneuver by Shawn has been bothering me as well. It is so deceptive; I wonder if anyone has complained to legal about it. It is deliberately misleading, all done for the sake of a sale. I feel that Shawn must realize what she is doing and that just makes her come across (to me) as sneaky and untrustworthy. I find myself watching her less and less often.
Honored Contributor

Re: making comparisons

[ Edited ]

@bethelbabe wrote:

Almost everything is taxed. It's up to the consumer to know the tax in their state. I see no reason why anyone has to babysit that.  

Esteemed Contributor

I don't pay much attention to what they say about prices.  I use my own math to figure it out.  As Judge Judy says "don't p** on my foot and tell me it's raining".   It is disgusting, tho.

Honored Contributor

YES, they ARE listening.  There is a producer in her ear and she has bosses that monitor what is said, neither of which are we.  Why does QVC 'let' her?  There is nothing the hosts do that isn't monitored.  For all we know, that was the sales pitch they gave them in the last meeting.

It is not false advertising, just a different way of putting it.  Like $29 and change when it is $29.98!  Yes, that's a lot of 'change' but it is not false nor a lie.

QVC will correct the hosts when THEY feel they need to.  They have a legal department.

We are all adults here and can figure out the cost of an item for ourselves.  I don't watch and nit pick on every word a host says.

Do you believe everything you hear in a commercial?  Same thing....marketing aspects of spinning the sale.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't listen to anything the Hosts say abt prices , as they all just quote the QVC sales gimmick. Also, I noted as others have QVC is constantly  changing prices on items .

I know now to check prices elsewhere on the same item  or I just decide if I am willing to pay their price or look elsewhere .

Esteemed Contributor

Although this is a bit annoying, it doesn't bother me much—all that really matters is the current price. If it's not a good deal now, I couldn't care less how much it cost in the past.

Respected Contributor

That tactic is quite consistent with her "I can't lie" mantra.  What honest person feels the need not only to make such a claim, but to make it regularly?