Honored Contributor

Re: Wondering why QVC does not seem to be getting new items....

On 2/15/2014 Lizzy Bennet said: I wonder the same thing, lldaisy. It hasn't been that long ago-5 or 6 years, maybe?-they used to get new products all the time. It was part of the appeal and they've definitely lost it.

I miss all the "different" items they sold--items I could not find locally or on any other website at that time. They seem to stick with just a few brands now. Very disappointing. Also, they do the hard sell now which I don't like.

Trusted Contributor

On 2/16/2014 SPURT said:
On 2/16/2014 Scotnovel said:

It may be that there is so much more competition now than several years ago. Before the internet exploded and people felt safe ordering on internet, for many, especially in small towns, home shopping was THE place to get things you couldn't even find anywhere else.

Remember when flameless candles, solar powered anything, (just examples) were hard to find? Now you can find most anything you want from lots of internet sites to brick and mortar stores and at fairly low prices, often less than what QVC charges.

It has to be hard for QVC to make a profit on a lot of items that can be easily purchased elsewhere from competitors who can afford to sell for less, so they keep to their main brands that are mostly exclusive to QVC.

Scotnovel you make some good points but it appears what QVC has chosen to show are those ITEMS EASILY PURCHASED LOCALLY at non competitive prices, then add in QVC's high shipping charges. It seems they would do better with the different, unique and unusual and carve out a niche market instead of competing with local stores and Amazon.... I can find Dyson, Vitamix, Sleep Number Beds, Serta Mattresses and computers/tablets locally YET QVC seems to rotating them over and over and over and over again.....and in particular on the weekends, after folks get done with their errands and a captive audience due to bad weather and nothing on TV on the weekends....you'd think QVC would be more innovative in their products and programming...

And as for their clothing....if you don't like Graver's polyester....or the quirky Logo line then you shop elsewhere.....so their limited Q clothing brands do not appeal to the masses either....

I suspect you live in an area with a lot of shopping opportunities. I used to but now am in a small town and I can't find hardly any of those things locally (no Vitamix, no Dyson, no sleep number, limited computer choices, unless I want to drive 2-3 hours one way to the "big" cities) or if available in town buy them at a much higher price because shopping opportunities are limited and we are a captive audience. Certain items at big box and office supply stores are higher priced here than they are 2-3 hours away at the same stores (online prices at stores like that can also be higher because some prices are based on zip code).

Honored Contributor

On 2/16/2014 SPURT said:

It may be that there is so much more competition now than several years ago. Before the internet exploded and people felt safe ordering on internet, for many, especially in small towns, home shopping was THE place to get things you couldn't even find anywhere else.

Remember when flameless candles, solar powered anything, (just examples) were hard to find? Now you can find most anything you want from lots of internet sites to brick and mortar stores and at fairly low prices, often less than what QVC charges.

It has to be hard for QVC to make a profit on a lot of items that can be easily purchased elsewhere from competitors who can afford to sell for less, so they keep to their main brands that are mostly exclusive to QVC.

Scotnovel you make some good points but it appears what QVC has chosen to show are those ITEMS EASILY PURCHASED LOCALLY at non competitive prices, then add in QVC's high shipping charges. It seems they would do better with the different, unique and unusual and carve out a niche market instead of competing with local stores and Amazon.... I can find Dyson, Vitamix, Sleep Number Beds, Serta Mattresses and computers/tablets locally YET QVC seems to rotating them over and over and over and over again.....and in particular on the weekends, after folks get done with their errands and a captive audience due to bad weather and nothing on TV on the weekends....you'd think QVC would be more innovative in their products and programming...

And as for their clothing....if you don't like Graver's polyester....or the quirky Logo line then you shop elsewhere.....so their limited Q clothing brands do not appeal to the masses either....

I suspect you live in an area with a lot of shopping opportunities. I used to but now am in a small town and I can't find hardly any of those things locally (no Vitamix, no Dyson, no sleep number, limited computer choices, unless I want to drive 2-3 hours one way to the "big" cities) or if available in town buy them at a much higher price because shopping opportunities are limited and we are a captive audience. Certain items at big box and office supply stores are higher priced here than they are 2-3 hours away at the same stores (online prices at stores like that can also be higher because some prices are based on zip code).

Hi Scotnovel....

But even if you live in a small town there are other online retailers ...or even the major department stores and retailers now offer their merchandise online STILL better prices, better shipping than QVC, and even have coupon codes and other promotions too....I have relatives that live in small towns in different parts of the country and they do a lot of online ordering....like Walmart, Target (has Dyson), LL Bean, JCP, MACY's, Best Buy, Amazon (has all kinds of computers and electronics brand names, Vitamix, Dyson) or from the manufacturer's websites too.......and I know where they shop because I've gotten them gift cards for different occasions to their favorite stores....

And I wouldnt order a computer/tablet from QVC it was a disaster...been there, done that...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Since the first of February, QVC has added 22 pages of new items at 96 items per page.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

If QVC has added 22 pages of new items at 96 items per page then why are they STILL showing the same 10 products over and over and I think that is the OP's point, a valid one!......

If QVC does not care about their TV programming and just repeats the same few items over and over then just shut down the TV channell altogether and become strictly an onlineretailer....think of the money they'd save in production costs and host's salaries.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2014 SPURT said:

If QVC has added 22 pages of new items at 96 items per page then why are they STILL showing the same 10 products over and over and I think that is the OP's point, a valid one!......

If QVC does not care about their TV programming and just repeats the same few items over and over then just shut down the TV channell altogether and become strictly an onlineretailer....think of the money they'd save in production costs and host's salaries.

I completely agree.

I'd also wonder if some of those 22 pages aren't just permutations of the same things they present endlessly... For example, how many of the 22 pages are nothing more than a new laptop from Dell, a new Tablet from Apple, a new desktop from HP, a new pattern or color of Temptations, a new style or color blender from Vitamix, new togs from Susan Graver or Lori Goldstein, new bags from B Makowsky, a new eyeliner from Mally or a new Wen seasonal scent, and so on...? In other words, still the same old stuff.

I'd also add that I don't think anyone is suggesting they stop selling blenders, computers, coffee makers, etc, simply that they offer more diversified programming. The same handful of items scheduled and presented in rotation is ludicrous and it's boring and it ensures those not remotely interested in those items are not watching and probably doing limited shopping. It's fine that they're an on-line resource, but their on-line operation and programming should better complement each other than they clearly do. It's as if each is assumed to be a stand-alone, when it need not be that way.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

They are obviously putting their emphasis on a few high priced items that sell well. I wonder what they'll do when every man, woman, and child in America has a Vitamix? I know I am watching and buying less. I don't like infomercials.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I read an interesting article, a few days ago, re home shopping in the early days, as opposed to Now. Although their focus was actually more on HSN, than QVC, one comment, I'm guessing, applies to both. The comment was regarding the "vanishing", of the unique, quirky, fun vendors, that popped up in the early days, and QVC's 50/50 tour, did get mentioned. The point the article made, was that in the early days, homes shopping, was new, a novelty and far,far smaller than it is today. As the article mentioned today, smaller vendors would , often find it impossible to sell On huge home shopping channels because they would lack the ability and in many cases the desire to produce their items in the quality necessary to sell in such a huge venue. Judith Jack, who sold on QVC, was mentioned, as a vendor who left homeshopping because she simply did not want to produce her line in the quantity necessary to sell in such a huge venue; she felt it watered down the line. I can see that being true of many potential vendors. You can't very we'll sell on home shopping, bringing only 50 or so, of a new item. Probably more like, at least 4 or 5 times that.
Honored Contributor

On 2/17/2014 stevieb said:
On 2/17/2014 SPURT said:

I completely agree.

I'd also wonder if some of those 22 pages aren't just permutations of the same things they present endlessly... For example, how many of the 22 pages are nothing more than a new laptop from Dell, a new Tablet from Apple, a new desktop from HP, a new pattern or color of Temptations, a new style or color blender from Vitamix, new togs from Susan Graver or Lori Goldstein,r new bags from B Makowsky, a new eyeliner from Mally or a new Wen seasonal scent...?

I'd also add that I don't think anyone is suggesting they stop selling blenders, computers, coffee makers, etc, simply that they offer more diversified programming. The same handful of items scheduled and presented in rotation is ludicrous and it's boring and it ensures those not remotely interested in those items are not watching and probably doing limited shopping. It's fine that they're an on-line resource, but their on-line operation and programming should better complement each other than they clearly do. It's as if each is assumed to be a stand-alone, when it need not be that way.

ITA......they bring in a Reed and Barton flatware set....different pattern...BUT nonetheless STILL a Reed and Barton flatware set so they call it "new"....to me it is NOT a new item, its the same item in a different pattern.

I looked at the "new arrivals"........see if these ring a bell---

Luminara candles

And I'm sure you will recognize this one Stevie....

Poo-Pourri 3 piece bathroom set....

and Poo Pourri refills....{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Serta Mattress

It Cosmetics supersize foundation

IT Cosmetics hello lashes

Keurig Coffee Maker with 48 k cups

My Pillow diamond custom fit

Northern Nights down blanket

Blue Clean pressure washer

Dell and HP computers and Apple Ipads....

Germack with yogurt bits

Rowenta iron

Cheryl's cookies (winter assortment)

we get the picture of all these "new" items.....

There are some so called "new" Dooneys I'll leave those to my bag expert...Wink

{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}

Honored Contributor

On 2/18/2014 SUHSE39 said: I read an interesting article, a few days ago, re home shopping in the early days, as opposed to Now. Although their focus was actually more on HSN, than QVC, one comment, I'm guessing, applies to both. The comment was regarding the "vanishing", of the unique, quirky, fun vendors, that popped up in the early days, and QVC's 50/50 tour, did get mentioned. The point the article made, was that in the early days, homes shopping, was new, a novelty and far,far smaller than it is today. As the article mentioned today, smaller vendors would , often find it impossible to sell On huge home shopping channels because they would lack the ability and in many cases the desire to produce their items in the quality necessary to sell in such a huge venue. Judith Jack, who sold on QVC, was mentioned, as a vendor who left homeshopping because she simply did not want to produce her line in the quantity necessary to sell in such a huge venue; she felt it watered down the line. I can see that being true of many potential vendors. You can't very we'll sell on home shopping, bringing only 50 or so, of a new item. Probably more like, at least 4 or 5 times that.

But why sell such common items that we see on other sites at better prices, or items common in local stores.

And while limited supplies to retain quality might be true of a few unique vendors....I dont buy that as an excuse for lack of variety or uniqueness in QVC's current mix....

QVC has brought in limited quantities of 500 or 600 of a particular jewelry piece.....it just might take them a year to produce...Some of Valerie's items were brought in at limited quantities and I've heard hosts say that about other items too...Or what about QVC's "while supplies last" we bought all they had and when they are gone, they are gone.....

And unique items can be found in catalogs or other websites, so I think those same manufacturers would have sufficient quantities for QVC

how does Amazon get their product mix for example to serve their huge humongous potential customer base...some of their vendors have limited quantities...

And like the OP suggested manufacturers like Coach could certainly design a couple of unique designs exclusive for QVC....in sufficient quantities...

And why does QVC has their new version of 50/50 called Sprouts....

I think it might take a little more searching, planning, and negotiating....I think its plain laziness...and being content to maintain the status quo....