Honored Contributor

Re: Why describe so much in the negative?

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeachsorry I missed your point , I do not equate most things the hosts and vendors say with being of healthy mind, body or spirit. Maybe people would buy more if the hosts and vendors would flatter the customer.

Honored Contributor

I learned much about insecurities from watching hosts..things that I never knew should be hidden or covered up....complete with constant reminders as long as I view.I learned that some feet are too ugly to wear sandals and require owners to wear closed toe shoes...from these forums.I think that we unknowingly pass this junk on to the next generation so one day they too can fuss about hiding and covering.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't imagine anyone with a healthy self esteem would read negativity into the things some are posting!!  I know I don't find what the hosts or vendors say about body flaws as negative.  I think it's great there are clothing styles, skincare and makeup that can improve the way we look.  It seems to me the ones that it bothers most are the ones who are actually insecure and obsess about their flaws because they don't accept themselves for how they look!    

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaidenwrote:

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's what I mean:

QVC hosts have the habit of, or maybe they were taught to, describe garments by touting the fact that these clothes are amazing because they have the ability to hide all the horrors on our bodies.

Doesn't this run contrary to supporting someone's confidence and self-esteem?  

It seems to me descriptions of garments might be just as effective if the positive features of the garment, such as good hand feel, or well-cut, or flattering color, were emphasized.  In addition (and I know they do this sometimes), talk about how a feature emphasizes something nice about the wearer.  

I am tired of hearing, nonstop, how we are all supposed to have "lumps and bumps."  And then you hear or see that phrase repeated by callers and online reviewers who seem to have picked up that thought as if it's totally normal.  It's reallly not healthy to accentuate the negative so constantly.  

@GingerPeach  ITA!   I think they are trying to make people feel better.... but what it does is  to make people think that being out of shape and overweight is OK.... JUST COVER IT ALL UP!

I am also tired of hearing about covering up the chicken wings and the bits and pieces.... the belly fat... the muffin top  and the worse is  calling    " FAT" CURVES instead of just sayin what it all is.... fat out of shape and overweight.  

It's comments like yours that make women feel they have to cover up and hide flaws.  Less judgment and a little acceptance of others just the way they are would make this a much better world.

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66......I love reading your little stories on these forums! You sound like an awesome person, and someone I could easily be friends with! 💕 

Honored Contributor

@Pookwrote:

@faeriemoon  I am a size 12 and have muscular athletic legs great looking legs and even when I was a size 7 I could not zip up regular boots so most real athletic legs probably need wider legs in boots.  Also, there are many women with heavier legs and saying women who need wider boots just have "fat" legs is not only negative but a real slam to them meant to hit home and that is more than a little negative!!!  While I don't think hosts are being negative with saying clothing hides many flaws that statement sure is!!

Clearly, what  I said does not apply to all.  Fact:  Many Q viewers are heavier women.  Fact: Many average sized women carry weight in their legs.  Fact: The weight in both cases is generally not muscle.

The Q tries to make it sound like it's a good thing if regular boots don't fit you because clearly you are so muscular your legs exceed the boundaries of the regular boots.

All I'm saying is that they try to put a POSITIVE spin on size (or flaws, if we go back to the OP) in this case.

Honored Contributor

Qvc can't win! Every single day someone complains. Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

Hosts try to make suggestions addressing body flaws in a pleasant way. Most women have something about their bodies they would like to improve.

They’re not going to say, “if you have a big but, blah blah blah” or “if you have fat calves, blah blah.” Or worse. 

With the rate of obesity in this country, I wonder if that’s why so many tunics and long tops are shown—because they smooth out the so-called lumps and bumps.

Honored Contributor

@Pookwrote:

I don't see the big deal!  Owning your body issues does not mean you still can't be confident and  have self esteem!   Anyone with self esteem won't have a problem accepting that they don't have a perfect body and discussing their flaws and wanting to dress to look and feel the best they can and that does include camouflaging the flaws!  I know I don't dress in clothing that showcases my flaws - and we all have flaws - so why the issue with discussing these flaws and admitting we all have them!!???  The better you can look the more confident you will be!  I see it as those with self esteem issues are the ones who don't want their flaws mentioned and are the most offended.  

@Pook  I agree...I don't see it as negative but instead helping buyers choose items that will work for their body type. 

I feel more confident if certain flaws (and yes I have them since I'm not perfect) are tastefully covered.  Nothing wrong with that!

Respected Contributor

I hear the hosts talk about a flattering cut as well as hiding or not clinging. They are selling to all sizes and shapes, and try to adjust their sales pitch to cover everyone.

I tend to rely less on the description and more on the models as my best guide—if the garment is not flattering on a xl model, it’s a pass or if the stripes on a top add 20 pounds to the models, it won’t be any better on me. And I do not wear my clothing as small as shown on the models, so it’s helpful when they give their sizes and I can adjust for the fit on a jacket or pants that I prefer.

And sometimes I just don’t agree with the host description. For example, Carolyn always touts the D&C pull-on pant with pockets as not attracting lint or pet hair. In my experience that twill fabric is a lint magnet, and the black and navy showed every stray hair, string, or speck of lint. Another example is the mantra of layered combos on LOGO. I don’t agree that everything goes with everything just so they can sell 5 tops when 1 or 2 will do. Nothing against Carolyn or LOGO or any host; it’s the host descriptions I question when my eyes tell me something different.