Honored Contributor

Why describe so much in the negative?

Here's what I mean:

QVC hosts have the habit of, or maybe they were taught to, describe garments by touting the fact that these clothes are amazing because they have the ability to hide all the horrors on our bodies.

Doesn't this run contrary to supporting someone's confidence and self-esteem?  

It seems to me descriptions of garments might be just as effective if the positive features of the garment, such as good hand feel, or well-cut, or flattering color, were emphasized.  In addition (and I know they do this sometimes), talk about how a feature emphasizes something nice about the wearer.  

I am tired of hearing, nonstop, how we are all supposed to have "lumps and bumps."  And then you hear or see that phrase repeated by callers and online reviewers who seem to have picked up that thought as if it's totally normal.  It's reallly not healthy to accentuate the negative so constantly.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Why describe so much in the negative?

The hosts and vendors are playing on all our insecurities to get us to buy the products. 

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeachwrote:

Here's what I mean:

QVC hosts have the habit of, or maybe they were taught to, describe garments by touting the fact that these clothes are amazing because they have the ability to hide all the horrors on our bodies.

Doesn't this run contrary to supporting someone's confidence and self-esteem?  

It seems to me descriptions of garments might be just as effective if the positive features of the garment, such as good hand feel, or well-cut, or flattering color, were emphasized.  In addition (and I know they do this sometimes), talk about how a feature emphasizes something nice about the wearer.  

I am tired of hearing, nonstop, how we are all supposed to have "lumps and bumps."  And then you hear or see that phrase repeated by callers and online reviewers who seem to have picked up that thought as if it's totally normal.  It's reallly not healthy to accentuate the negative so constantly.  

@GingerPeach  ITA!   I think they are trying to make people feel better.... but what it does is  to make people think that being out of shape and overweight is OK.... JUST COVER IT ALL UP!

I am also tired of hearing about covering up the chicken wings and the bits and pieces.... the belly fat... the muffin top  and the worse is  calling    " FAT" CURVES instead of just sayin what it all is.... fat out of shape and overweight.  

Honored Contributor

@blackhole99wrote:

The hosts and vendors are playing on all our insecurities to get us to buy the products. 

I understand that, @blackhole99.  My point is that it's unhealthy.  

Honored Contributor

I don't know if they do that.  Never noticed.  However, I will agree that women so often point out their flaws (if you want to call them that).  I'm as guilty as everyone.

I remember reading a celebrity (or model) saying her mom taught her to love all of her body.  She said (paraphrasing), "My mom taught me to say, 'Hello arms!  I love you.  Hello legs!  I love you!"  And so on.

The premise is to love your body.  It doesn't mean we can't (or shouldn't) loose weight or work on something that WE FEEL needs improving.  I think (to me) it means to not be so hard (or critical) about ourselves.

When I went to college and wrote for the school newspaper I remember writing an article asking people what phrase or thought brings them back to their core.  In other words....well...here's mine...

"I cried because I had no shoes until I met a girl who had no feet".

This reminds me that, in order to accept myself, flaws and all, I must remember to be grateful what what I DO have.

We all have room for improvements.  I tell my girls we are all salespeople.  We sell ourselves to others.  If we approach with a frown, that's what we'll get in return.  Same thing with our body.  If we are good to it, it will support us.  If we mess up (I'm dealing with that right now), we need to do what we can to heal/fit/improve and move on.

Seems simple...SURE?  Ha!  Not at all.  Wish I could do it every day, but it's always a struggle, but one with amazing rewards.

@GingerPeach You are way ahead of most people because you understand so many things...have a great day.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Homegirl You are way ahead of most people because you understand so many things...have a great day.

@Annabellethecat66

Thank you.  That is one great compliment, my friend!  You and me both, right?  

Next time you watch, listen for the old "lumps and bumps" phrase.  You won't have to wait long before it's spoken.   (Although to be fair, I do think there are some hosts that don't.  I am not a 24/7 watcher, but I don't recall Jennifer Coffey ever saying it.)

Esteemed Contributor

The negativity, unfortunately, is focused to sell, and that is in all products.  Skin care and makeup to make us look younger and wrinkle free, clothes to make us look taller/thinner, food plans to lose weight, and other products to make us safer, etc.

Luckily, I am not around people who are negative about themselves, but I grew up hearing negativity all of the time.  I imagine most people did; those who did not are very lucky.

I would like to see the stylists embrace the person they are dressing and not focus so much on the styles that are being sold that day.  However, if I was a vendor, I would like to see my clothes on the people who wear them best.  Hosts that have their own shows have to deal with that, even if they don't/won't wear those clothes in their real life.  I think Shawn is the only one who really wears what she wants.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't see the big deal!  Owning your body issues does not mean you still can't be confident and  have self esteem!   Anyone with self esteem won't have a problem accepting that they don't have a perfect body and discussing their flaws and wanting to dress to look and feel the best they can and that does include camouflaging the flaws!  I know I don't dress in clothing that showcases my flaws - and we all have flaws - so why the issue with discussing these flaws and admitting we all have them!!???  The better you can look the more confident you will be!  I see it as those with self esteem issues are the ones who don't want their flaws mentioned and are the most offended.  

Valued Contributor

OP, I agree with you that they frequently mention how a garment hides this or that.  However, I never believe them.

Healthy, unheathly???  We need to bring up  our children with a positive body image and not to blame QVC, magazines, catalogs etc 

Honored Contributor

I am not blaming QVC, @LexPex

I raised my daughter to be aware of advertisements and told her that ads could tell us whatever the ad companies wanted to, but that we, as consumers, needed to be aware of what our own needs were and how to differentiate among the messages being sent to us.

To this day, she is a careful and intelligent shopper.