Super Contributor

Maybe it's because we returned too many items. When was the last time you went back to your local store and brought back something you purchased?

The liberal habit of returning maybe was too much for them. I know from buying from Liquidation Channel you cannot return anything under $200. No and's, or's, or if's about it. It's like your parents putting down their foot and that is exactly what LC does and lives by it.

QVC being more indulgent probably drowned in returns so they made a major overhaul of their whole system and began focusing on a limited number of products which in their view are winners.

Valued Contributor

QVC's rate-of-return is 30% on clothing. Surprisingly to me, this is low. It should be 75% because I have NEVER had clothes fit the same ~~ same size/same item # ~~ and using the designer's sizing chart is worthless, at least for me). If QVC would fix this (it's called "First-piece-inspect") to ensure all is correct with vital measurements, then returns would be minimal.

Honored Contributor

If they would have kept their higher standards and higher quality, they wouldn't get so many returns. I think a good part of their business is because of the liberal return policy. Also, I'm sure many people don't bother to return items so that is profit for QVC. Many say they didn't like a kitchen item or a cosmetic so they threw it in the trash. A lot of people say they didn't bother to do a return because it was only around $20-$25. I know posters here have said they have received warning letters that they are returning too much. However, hosts emphasize if you don't like an item you can return it "even if the jar is empty." Carolyn emphasized last night if you don't like a food item you can get a refund and you don't have to return the food. If these return policies weren't working for QVC, they would change the policy.

Occasional Contributor
On 2/27/2014 Daysdee said:

If they would have kept their higher standards and higher quality, they wouldn't get so many returns. I think a good part of their business is because of the liberal return policy. Also, I'm sure many people don't bother to return items so that is profit for QVC. Many say they didn't like a kitchen item or a cosmetic so they threw it in the trash. A lot of people say they didn't bother to do a return because it was only around $20-$25. I know posters here have said they have received warning letters that they are returning too much. However, hosts emphasize if you don't like an item you can return it "even if the jar is empty." Carolyn emphasized last night if you don't like a food item you can get a refund and you don't have to return the food. If these return policies weren't working for QVC, they would change the policy.

I think most people think returning items by mail is a hassle. In fact, most rebate offers remain unclaimed because people don't want to bother with mailing the documents etc. So, I think, QVC is ahead of the game in the return area.

Honored Contributor

ITA with Daysdee that, had they kept up the quality they used to sell, it would be different.

Also, since their exposure is so huge the number of rip off artists they attract is going to be larger. There are always people who buy stuff to just use and then return so they can get their money back and have used it for free. That increases costs a lot.

Now that they have gone to numerous sub-standard Chinese companies to manufacturer, especially, a lot of their in-house type brands (read-Temptations, etc) they have a much higher profit margin. This allows them to continue their return policies and still make a lot of money.

Trusted Contributor
On 2/27/2014 mercyMe said:

QVC's rate-of-return is 30% on clothing. Surprisingly to me, this is low. It should be 75% because I have NEVER had clothes fit the same ~~ same size/same item # ~~ and using the designer's sizing chart is worthless, at least for me). If QVC would fix this (it's called "First-piece-inspect") to ensure all is correct with vital measurements, then returns would be minimal.

Unfortunately, the sizing problems aren't limited to QVC or any retailer.

Frustrating and annoying as it is, anytime I shop in Department stores, if I want to buy an item in multiple colors, for instance, I make a point to try every piece on. It may be same item, same size, (supposedly), just another color, but, I've had too many times, when I didn't try each piece on, and discovered that the fit was not the same, at all.

It seems to be an industry wide problem.

Super Contributor

I thought they had to offer a return policy because its the law. So I think it's something they have to do, not something they offer to "be nice".........I think all tv retailers have to do this.

Honored Contributor
On 2/27/2014 HC Consultant1 said:
On 2/27/2014 Daysdee said:

I think most people think returning items by mail is a hassle. In fact, most rebate offers remain unclaimed because people don't want to bother with mailing the documents etc. So, I think, QVC is ahead of the game in the return area.

I agree. I think many people don't open items right away and all of a sudden they feel it is too late to return; they don't want to bother packing it up; they threw away the box and receipt and don't want to find a box and print a return label; don't want to go to post office and wait in line, etc. I think QVC counts on the "we only have 100 left" so hurry and order and probably a large percentage of the customers won't return even if they aren't completely satisfied with the purchase.

Super Contributor
On 2/27/2014 Hibi said:

I thought they had to offer a return policy because its the law. So I think it's something they have to do, not something they offer to "be nice".........I think all tv retailers have to do this.

According to the Pennsylvania Attorney General, Kathleen G. Kane's website, she has written: "a major misconception some Pennsylvania residents have about stores and sellers is that they have to take returns, particularly if you have a receipt. This is not true. Make sure you check the store return policy before buying any product; this could help avoid future headaches." and in the State of Michigan, the Attorney General, Bill Schuette, says on his website: "The law does not require the store to accept returns of items unless the items are not as represented or are defective ... the law that applies to returns generally covers both on line and in store sales."

I found it easy to return things to QVC because I lived close to the Post Office.

Super Contributor

I thought the legal issue had to do with tv sales, not necessarily online sales. This was years ago, before online existed......