Respected Contributor

Re: What ever happened to elegance?

@KatieB wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NurseGayle. Do you mean Lisa's long Gumby jeans she wore night after night?

Had to get nasty didn't you???    I will never understand why people such as yourself, think you're doing yourself any favors by belittling other people.

I don't find Kachina's post nasty at all. Just because she disagrees with a post regarding LR's dress?  I for one didn't find those jeans attractive either.  People should realize when you post on certain topics, not all will agree, and disagreeing doesn't always equate to being mean or "nasty".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ. @KatieB@Starpolisher  Some people have a strange personal definition of rude or nasty.  I had a long career dealing with the public as an area manager of a government agency.  It was not unusual to get a complaint that an employee had been rude to a client.   I would ask in what way was the employee rude.  In most instances, I'd be told, " she said I won't be getting my benefits".  In other words, if you don't get a reply you want or like, the person is "rude" even if you were treated courteously.  Knowing this to commonly be the case, I disregard such remarks.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

Speaking for myself, and perhaps others, "elegantly decked out" isn't something I am particularly interested in seeing on a home shopping show from hosts.  Looking for, whatever they choose to wear, to be neat, wrinkle-free, and fit properly.  Sometimes a lovely Isaac cardigan, a crisp white shirt neatly tucked into a wonderful pair of jeans, great belt, and a stylish pair of boots is a better look than the "elegance" that was being referred to.   

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KKJ. @KatieB.  Some people have a strange personal definition of rude or nasty.  I had a long career dealing with the public as an area manager of a government agency.  It was not unusual to get a complaint that an employee had been rude to a client.   I would ask in what way was the employee rude.  In most instances, I'd be told, " she said I won't be getting my benefits".  In other words, if you don't get a reply you want or like, the person is "rude" even if she was treated courteously.

That is certainly not what I meant by my post. 

I spelled it out for you in my original post and now.  I will say it again, you are not doing any favors for yourself by belittling Lisa R.

And I find it hard to believe that a gov't "customer" would issue a complaint to a gov't manager that a gov't employee was rude to them.  Usually the customer would have asked a manager "Why didn't I get my benefits?", instead of saying the person was rude to me..  That really doesn't make much sense to me. 

I've been in management before and I don't recall ever having a complaint that an employee was rude to them.  I was in IT and had many complaints, but never that someone was rude to them.

Trusted Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

My Grandma was an "elegant" woman......she'd be 131 years old now.......

Duuno if my Gram was elegant but she set the table for Sunday dinners with china, crystal and a tablecloth.

As an immigrant she expressed her grattitude for all she was able to accomplish.

I get it about table setting.   We were visiting at a cousins house a while back.   Her and her husband are in their 30's.   She made a nice dinner and then when it was time to eat there was no table setting of any kind to eat at.   We all were just grabbing dishes out of the cabinets and started looking for a place to sit.

I wondered about it before it was time to eat but did not want to interfere at someone elses home.   I think I will next time!!

I always set the table before I even start cooking every day at home.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@KatieB. When a person in the public eye wears outdated, unhemed, sloppy clothing she belittles herself and leaves herself open to criticism, especially when she presents  herself as a fashion guru.  This will be the case whether you like it or not!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

According to Webster, elegance is being graceful and stylish in appearance, pleasing, simple and neat.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@KatieB. When a person in the public eye wears outdated, unhemed, sloppy clothing she belittles herself and leaves herself open to criticism, especially when she presents  herself as a fashion guru.  This will be the case whether you like it or not!

Lisa Robertson never did any of the actions you describe on TV, whether you like or not. 

I am pretty sure that she would have never worn sloppy, outdated, unhemed clothing in her life.  Good grief.

Honored Contributor

I have so many things I used to wear to fundraisers and banquets for various school functions....now I have absolutely nowhere to wear them..,I think black velvet banks and silk tops are a bit too much for Kroger....or the pharmacy. I can’t even go to church and wear “ church clothes”. I will not get rid of any of these things....we will return to having these things....just don’t know how soon. Black velvet is forever....🤗
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Gorgf wrote:

They don't even dress up for cruises any more. I bought a Bob Mackie gold sequin jacket and plazzo pants  a couple of years ago  to wear and was almost over dressed.

I heard the directors even had it in their job description that it was a requirement for the Captain's Dinner. I guess what I would think an assumption had to be spelled out? 

I for one am glad they don't dress up for cruises anymore. Just takes up valuable real estate in my luggage for something I'm only going to wear once. We usually chose to eat on the Lido deck on dress up nights just to avoid dressing up.