Trusted Contributor

Once again, please stamp your reviews as verified, so we know that the individual reviewing the product has actually purchased that product.  I just went to read reviews of Slatkin’s new Homeworx, 3-wick candles (H213646) which debuted 2 days ago, and all 6 of the current reviews are of another collection of candles which came out 6 months ago.  I’m not sure which is worse - customers who would review a product they haven’t received and base a review on a totally different product, or the fact that QVC allows this to happen.  Is QVC so desperate to make a sale that they would allow their customers to be misled by false information?  Since a QVC employee is obviously reading reviews before they are posted, it doesn’t seem like it would be too much of a task to take one extra step to make sure the reviewer actually purchased the product and to notate that fact when approving and posting the review.  

Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies- I agree with everything you said, but this problem has been brought to QVC's attention for years and they've done nothing about it.

They don't even delete reviews that are clearly inappropriate or for the wrong product altogether.   Someone reviewed a tablet and it was posted under Sweet Sam's pound cakes!  They gave the tablet one star and that is so unfair to the affected vendor.  Not the first time that's happened and they still don't delete them, when notified.

I think it's likely an outside firm and they couldn't care less about the integrity of the review system.  (If they are QVC employees, that makes it even worse.)

Honored Contributor

Re: Verify Your Reviews!

[ Edited ]

@TenderMercies

I agree! HSN and Amazon and many other sites do it, why can't QVC?

I give much more credence to a review from someone who actually bought that particular item.

I was reading a review the other day on a Luminara candle and the review was totally about a different brand of candle, much cheaper, at Amazon, with no mention of the candle the review was posted on.

I reported it as inappropriate, explaining that the review doesn't relate to the product being reviewed, as I always do when I run into these types of reviews, but they're never removed.

That makes reviews here on QVC worthless to me.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

There's so much wrong with so many verified reviews elsewhere that I often don't trust them either.  Could QVC verify?  Sure -  it's only a matter of money  Amnazon has the money because they charge upfront for Prime -  and HSN is like AVIS --  they're #2 and just have to try harder. 

When it's pretty obvious a review isn't helpful to me, I just ignore it -  pretty much the way I do here in the Forums when someone writes a post about a product, a designer, a line that they obviously have never bought.  I just take that as an uninformed opinion. 

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

@TenderMercies

I agree! HSN and Amazon and many other sites do it, why can't QVC?

I give much more credence to a review from someone who actually bought that particular item.

I was reading a review the other day on a Luminara candle and the review was totally about a different brand of candle, much cheaper, at Amazon, with no mention of the candle the review was posted on.

I reported it as inappropriate, explaining that the review doesn't relate to the product being reviewed, as I always do when I run into these types of reviews, but they're never removed.

That makes reviews here on QVC worthless to me.

@KingstonsMom Not only does HSN verify their reviews, they also make you wait a certain number of days after the ship date before you are able to write the review.  This requires you to actually live with the product for a couple days.  I think many people open the box and run to their computers to say how wonderful something is, then after spending time with the product discover its faults.  This method actually holds the customer more accountable and helps guarantee that their reviews have more than a hair trigger thought put into them.  

Honored Contributor

I totally agree with all of you (about keeping the integrity true in reviews).  

One place I've found that 'seems' (because you can't say anything 100%) to be true and (in my opinion) is excellent and often goes into wonderful detail about a product is Amazon (I use Amazon Prime).

I always look at people's questions and answers on a product BEFORE I make my decision to buy or....not to buy.  These are real people and some of the do's and don't's they've experienced.

Usually, I'll find a few people who go above and beyond rating a product.  They'll take a video or picture of the item in their yard, etc and I've watched video's they've taken of family members using it.  

When I did research on which Go-Pro to get my grandson.  People actually posted their own video's of family members using it.  

I can't understand (since QVC is totally a home shopping network) and people can't physically touch, eat, etc a product they are so lackadaisical about comments and ratings of the product they are selling.

It would surely cut way, way down on the number of returns!  I went into a Kohls store right before Christmas.  Big deal you say?  Well, for me it was!  I hadn't been in a 'brick and mortar' store for at least 2 years (probably more).  I needed to get a gift certificate for my friend for Kohls and couldn't find one so I went there.  I had to wait in line for at least 20 minutes just to get that gift certificate.  Ugh!  Just reinforced what I HATE about physically shopping.  It wouldn't be such a big deal but I have a very, very bad back and standing like that KILLS my back.

Trusted Contributor

wrote:

There's so much wrong with so many verified reviews elsewhere that I often don't trust them either.  Could QVC verify?  Sure -  it's only a matter of money  Amnazon has the money because they charge upfront for Prime -  and HSN is like AVIS --  they're #2 and just have to try harder. 

When it's pretty obvious a review isn't helpful to me, I just ignore it -  pretty much the way I do here in the Forums when someone writes a post about a product, a designer, a line that they obviously have never bought.  I just take that as an uninformed opinion. 

@millieshops You state that "there's so much wrong with so many verified reviews elsewhere that I often don't trust them either."  I think a majority of customers write reviews with the honest intention of sharing their true feelings about the product along with helping to either persuade or dissuade others from making a purchase.  I'm sure there are some sick people who make purchases and write negative reviews for kicks, but I think those people are few and far between and often able to identify.  Ultimately, I think you're going to get a better big picture of the quality of a product if only verified reviews are permitted, and the customers deserve the truth.  

Respected Contributor

wrote:

@millieshops so does the bolded above mean QVC is #1 and they don't have to try? Or they only have to try a little bit? I would much rather patronize a company that tries harder than one that doesn't seem to try at all.

Honored Contributor

@DJs momThe phrase comes from an old Hertz-Avis rivalry set of ads.  At the time Avis was smaller and it was their way of saving they had to work to be as big as Hertz.   That's certainly what HSN would like to do, so if some people think they are trying harder, they should continue to get larger -  it will be without my money though. 

If I quit QVC, it won't be for any other TV shopping channel. For now, I still like what I order, I'm paying far less than I used to for shipping, I have not had CS issues here, and QVC's hosts and camera work as well as their vendor are all more to my liking than HSN's.  QVC isn't perfect, but if your implication was that they don't try, I think you and I disagree.  We can -  we're just 2 different shoppers.