Trusted Contributor

@MENTL Yes, and it's turned into a habit, I'm afraid.  And is probably not even aware of it.

Respected Contributor

I wish the forums still had the ignore button. 

Respected Contributor

The constant use of Ummmms by QVC hosts has been a big peeve of mine for a long time.  Carolyn, Jill, Pat and SHawn seem to be the worst offenders for me.  It's very annoying.  I understand that they have a lot of air time to fill, but for people that speak for a living on television, it seems like they could do a better job than that.  I wonder if they ever get to sit down with their boss and review their presentations.

Respected Contributor

Effective immediately, any host using "um" will  be arrested, arraigned, tried, convicted and sentenced to life with other um's, lip pursers,  and stutters who have committed similar crimes.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

My QVC watching is waaaaaay down, mostly drivebys during ads, but if I turn it on and she's hosting I have to mute otherwise I do this dumb thing to kill the advertising time where I watch the clock for 2 min and count how many ums she uses. How ridiculous is that? And unfortunately her usage of it is getting more pronounced. On the other hand, one of many signs of my getting old and cranky is that almost every host has one quirk or another that annoys the bejeezus out of me if I watch too long. But the ums and the weird mouth/lip gestures of another hostess are the two that make me the stabbiest. Oh yeh and the one with the constantly darting left/right left/right left/right eyes and every 10 second monitor checks, ah geez, I really must start practicing greater tolerance for others and their little quirks as I probably do things that drives my kids & friends to distraction too.

@shaggygirl-I'm laughing at your post but-

the fact that I know who you are describing, just shows its not just you and all these host affectations being described are very prominent.

I wonder how much hosts are critiqued no matter how much they sell.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@shaggygirl wrote:

My QVC watching is waaaaaay down, mostly drivebys during ads, but if I turn it on and she's hosting I have to mute otherwise I do this dumb thing to kill the advertising time where I watch the clock for 2 min and count how many ums she uses. How ridiculous is that? And unfortunately her usage of it is getting more pronounced. On the other hand, one of many signs of my getting old and cranky is that almost every host has one quirk or another that annoys the bejeezus out of me if I watch too long. But the ums and the weird mouth/lip gestures of another hostess are the two that make me the stabbiest. Oh yeh and the one with the constantly darting left/right left/right left/right eyes and every 10 second monitor checks, ah geez, I really must start practicing greater tolerance for others and their little quirks as I probably do things that drives my kids & friends to distraction too.

@shaggygirl-I'm laughing at your post but-

the fact that I know who you are describing, just shows its not just you and all these host affectations being described are very prominent.

I wonder how much hosts are critiqued no matter how much they sell.

I agree with you both! 

Super Contributor
How about Amy yelling and pointing her finger she is getting difficult to watch. She used to b fun &she is adorable as a fashionable person but she makes up words and calls nicknames to the vendors over speaks when vendors are describing the item .I am finding her difficult to watch when she continues to scream and also she laughs at everything . Carolina ya she has never been my favorite but she explains clothing to a tee. Especially Her favorite d&c does she own stock in the CO.?
Trusted Contributor

@TX-starlight

I agree with you.  It drives me crazy.

Frequent Contributor

Please watch fairly-new host Katie McGee.  For those that think it is next to impossible not to interject the "ummmms", she is proof it can be done.  How can a new host be almost flawless with her presentations, when the "seasoned" hosts still have trouble with the flow?   

Super Contributor

OP, when you commented that Carolyn has an 'um' problem, I thought to myself, 'I never noticed that about Carolyn'. I don't watch a lot of QVC anymore so thought maybe she may have developed that habit since I've watched.

I just watched her for an hour and did not catch one 'um' the entire hour. I wonder if she maybe wasn't feeling well on the day you were watching and switched her off?