Respected Contributor

Can the hosts PLEASE take this out of their vocabulary?!! I know this has been discussed before, but goodness Carolyn was horrible (I think it was Friday). I have not been watching QVC at all, but this wk, I've been laid up with a sprained ankle. I caught Carolyn & I believe Gary this wk. I swear she could not say 2 words without stammering. This is SO annoying. I finally turned her off after about 15-20 min. She was either totally unprepared or distracted by something. It was pitiful!

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlightSorry for your discomfort.

An even sadder thought about the "um" I just read this week is that some researchers are trying to solidfy their feeling that lots of "umming" could be an early sign of dementia possibilites.  Let's hope that doesn't apply here.

Whatever it is, those speech tics are really tough to erase -  and you might just get someone with an even more annoying habit if the networks fired all those who have them.

Honored Contributor

I've previously suggested that they be required to pay a dollar for every time they use "Um".  

Trusted Contributor

I don't care how quick you are on your feet or comfortable you are on camera.  The hosts aren't scripted, and it has to be challenging to be totally fluid when they're live on air. What's your excuse for all the spelling errors and poor grammar in your post, @TX-starlight?  The hosts are flying by the seats of their pants, but you have the ability to proofread and edit.

Esteemed Contributor

My QVC watching is waaaaaay down, mostly drivebys during ads, but if I turn it on and she's hosting I have to mute otherwise I do this dumb thing to kill the advertising time where I watch the clock for 2 min and count how many ums she uses. How ridiculous is that? And unfortunately her usage of it is getting more pronounced. On the other hand, one of many signs of my getting old and cranky is that almost every host has one quirk or another that annoys the bejeezus out of me if I watch too long. But the ums and the weird mouth/lip gestures of another hostess are the two that make me the stabbiest. Oh yeh and the one with the constantly darting left/right left/right left/right eyes and every 10 second monitor checks, ah geez, I really must start practicing greater tolerance for others and their little quirks as I probably do things that drives my kids & friends to distraction too.

Esteemed Contributor

Why do you have to insult someone, just because they have a different view? 

Esteemed Contributor

Why the insults about spelling, just because someone comments on a host?

Super Contributor

Carolyn is the worst with UHs and UMs.

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight-- Just curious...you last saw Carolyn on Friday, and you saw the need to post a criticism of her Sunday evening? I couldn't possibly let something a shopping channel host did weigh so heavily on my mind as to start a negative thread about it two days later.

Honored Contributor

Good grief. I'll bet you could not talk about 1 product for 20-60 minutes without an um.