Honored Contributor

The use of 'focus groups' or other customer input

I don't know what QVC does in the area of research before their buyers make the choices as to what will be not only purchased for sale on their network, but also which items will receive air time, but I'd like to ask questions and make some suggestions.

First, does Q use focus groups in any way (or some other similar process) to get feedback prior to buying or airing product lines, to see what customers are interested in, what they think of a line?

Or does QVC simply trust their buyers to go out and get it right? 

I know in the home decor/kitchen/garden/linens lines, many of the people who post on these boards have some sense that the buyers aren't in tune with what many customers are looking for in both style and in quality.

It seems like there would be advantage in allowing long term customers who exhibit interest in various product areas have some input into what is being chosen, before the buyers make their final decisions.

This could be done as simply as finding a core group of know customers who have a purchase history in particular lines, and showing them (even if just by email etc.) upcoming options the buyers are considering and letting them provide feedback on actual products being considered, as well as gathering suggestions based on those offerings or things they feel are missing in various lines.

I'd be interested if anyone has actual knowledge of how Q includes customer input BEFORE  the purchase (not just based on previous sales or reviews after products have been presented/sold) by their buyers.

Trusted Contributor

Re: The use of 'focus groups' or other customer input

I wish they would do something to listen to the forums and reviews.  Most people are trying to give constructive comments so that they can understand why we are returning products and in some cases not buying from them.  I would be afraid that their focus group would consist of people in selected areas.  A lot of us do not live in large metropolitan areas.  The east and west coast are as different as the north and south.  I love to go on road trips.  I can go several hundred miles from home and see a difference in how peoples clothing styles differ, food with the same name are different, outside home decor, etc.   I enjoy these trips and like meeting new neighbors from miles away.  Craft and apple festival time is almost here so I will be headed out to visit them.  I travel alone and light with no schedule.  My trunk has room for that special handmade gift for a family member.  I know it will be something I will not likely find at home.  CIJ was a disappointment.  The same old thing and most can be bought at Hobby Lobby and other local stores.  I seldom buy clothes because I love the quality items I have.  I look for pieces that are different and will compliment what I have.   I hope that someone reads what you have said and gives it great thought.  They need to do something to keep ahead of the competition.  Maybe they are putting more effort into the newer overseas market where most of the items are now made.  There are millions of more customers over there.

Honored Contributor

I think if Q focuses on consistent sizing, the majority of complaints would be solved....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I try to keep in mind that the boards are a small group - and even we don't agree much at all. I do know because I'm here way too often that I often support the same few vendors over and over while others do that for someone else.

Also,  I think the quick responses posters get from the QVC team members shows that QVC does listen -  but pretty much like anyone in authority, they don't necessarily do what everyone wants. 

Note to the posters with the huge paragraphs:  You may have made good points, but I'll never know.  You'd have to pay me to read those huge blocks of print.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think one thing that the Q is trying to do is slowly bring in younger viewers in the 20 to 30 year old age range. More moms are staying at home and the Q want to capture their attention. But there is very little that they would wear. Twenty year olds wear dresses several inches above the knee, open shoulder dresses with open backs, cropped shirts, speghetti straps, and high heels.  None of this is to be found on the Q.  It is no surprise that they will need to do this if they want to stay in business, as seniors age out or pass on.  The Q has always catered to an older woman with comfort shoes and very, very, concervative clothing.  All dresses are at or below the knee, all swimsuits are dress style, no shorts, no two piece swimsuits.  No real high heel pumps, etc.  I think Shawn dresses the way she does to bring in the younger crowd on purpose.  It is obvious the older viewing audience does not like her as much.  I am just now becoming a senior, and even I wouldn't wear the Q's clothes as they are boring and beyond boring.  A focus group would be a great thing.

Honored Contributor

@DesertdiIt would certainly cut down on the clothing complaints, but I suspect it's not going to happen.

For the most part, I do not buy QVC clothing.  I shop brick and mortar, on average a bit above QVC's most common prices and I don't find much consistency.  It's frustrating there, too, even though there's not a shipping cost involved although I think the reason the prices are above QVC's sometimes is that the shipping is included.  Has to be -  free is an illusion!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I try to keep in mind that the boards are a small group - and even we don't agree much at all. I do know because I'm here way too often that I often support the same few vendors over and over while others do that for someone else.

Also,  I think the quick responses posters get from the QVC team members shows that QVC does listen -  but pretty much like anyone in authority, they don't necessarily do what everyone wants. 

Note to the posters with the huge paragraphs:  You may have made good points, but I'll never know.  You'd have to pay me to read those huge blocks of print.

@millieshops

(hopefully you can read a couple of sentences)

QVC President and CEO Mike George. “we experienced a deceleration in demand in the US that has continued  Beginning in early June QVC’s US sales began to experience significant headwinds, which have continued. The sales declines, as compared to prior periods, have averaged in the mid to high single digit percentages."

If sales are declining it makes sense what @Mominohio said about perhaps QVC needing customer focus groups to determine what are needs/wants are and what we don't need.......While QVC Moderators are great at resolving specific customer issues, what we are talking about is providing QVC Execs at the top with our feedback on the overall picture of their products and programming!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@DesertdiIt would certainly cut down on the clothing complaints, but I suspect it's not going to happen.

For the most part, I do not buy QVC clothing.  I shop brick and mortar, on average a bit above QVC's most common prices and I don't find much consistency.  It's frustrating there, too, even though there's not a shipping cost involved although I think the reason the prices are above QVC's sometimes is that the shipping is included.  Has to be -  free is an illusion!

@millieshops

I go to Dillards and bought a top regular price (not on sale) equivalent quality, style their price $30.....QVC charges $54 and that's BEFORE shipping!!!!  ($30 vs $54)

I order the same top online its $30 and usually theres a promo code so I get FREE shipping....pay $30 plus tax verses QVCs $54 + $5 = $59 plus tax.....

($30 VS $59) including promo code free shipping

Lets say there's no coupon or promo code for shipping $30 + $8.50 =$38.50 VERSUS QVC at $59 ($38.50 VS $59) including shipping

Where's the illusion....!!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Contributor

I have been with QVC since they took over CVN. I used to watch professional hosts that were appropriately dressed spend maybe 10 minutes on an item trying to persuade me to purchase - and were very good at their job. Now an entire hour is spent on an item every other hour.  I read the boards and see many comments on hosts that use slang, dress like they are going to the beach,  and act like it is a social outing. I have lost my enthusiasm because so many are too difficult to watch now. It seems that all of the people making some constructive comments are being ignored, and their thoughts about repetitive products ignored also. I realize we all have different opinions and favorites, but hope QVC starts to listen to some of them.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt  It's all in what works for your body and your eyes.  I do buy my everyday bras from Dillards, so I go there to shop since with my requirements, I always try them on, even the same bra numbers sometimes are slightly different as is my body!

As for their clothes, I've tried -  I have never found a $30 top at Dillard's that matched what I have bought from SG's line at QVC.  Doesn't mean it couldn't happen - just means it has never happened for me. 

Further, although I buy very few clothes from QVC, I would call nearly everything I have purchased from good to excellent value. I know initial cost is important, but for me cost per wearing is even more important because I just don't love to shop all that much any more.  That;s where I've gotten my best from my QVC clothes: basics that wear almost forever.