Contributor

It seems to me QVC is starting to put almost all of their items in the higher shipping cost. Now to the real problem that bothers me. I recently ordered 3 light weight blouses all the same item but different colors. To be charged 10.50 in shipping is highway robbery in my opinion. You can order a big puffer jacket and the shipping is only 5.50. If they want to play that game of overcharging the customer on triple the shipping, then they should send the items in 3 different bags! QVC would have alot more sales if the shipping is the same if you order one or four of the same item. This is where they make their money, taking advantage of the customer!

Valued Contributor

QVC is a victim of their antiquated warehousing/shipping system.  They don't have the ability to change their flat shipping rates.  We pay the cost for their shortcomings.

Respected Contributor
Still don’t understand how they can have an antiquated warehouse system when they just built a huge new warehouse that consolidated many of their older warehouses into one. This new warehouse has been promoted as using state of the art robotics. Consequently, why isn’t the robotics able to be programmed to consolidate orders is a very good question. I’d also like to know why Q can’t seem to ship now with their robotics shipping. Meanwhile there has been no slowdown of any of my orders from HSN. Is the Q robotics system broken already!!
Valued Contributor

@Kindaglitzy wrote:
Still don’t understand how they can have an antiquated warehouse system when they just built a huge new warehouse that consolidated many of their older warehouses into one. This new warehouse has been promoted as using state of the art robotics. Consequently, why isn’t the robotics able to be programmed to consolidate orders is a very good question. I’d also like to know why Q can’t seem to ship now with their robotics shipping. Meanwhile there has been no slowdown of any of my orders from HSN. Is the Q robotics system broken already!!

@Kindaglitzy 

a warehouse is a building
a warehouse 'system' is software.
these are separate things

kinda like buying a house. it usually doesn't come with furniture.

they are still using the same software that they have always used in the new building.

whether or not they are working on updating their current software or buying software that they can customize is anyone's guess. if that skill set is not in house, they have to hire another company to do it for them.

you answered your own question about the robotics. you are right. it has to be 'programmed'. as this is their first robotic endeavor, more than likely, their current IT staff has zero experience with that type of programming, so they would have to pay (and pay dearly) another company to do that for them.

my response is not meant to be rude or anything like that. i just wanted to point out that by default, a 'building' does not come with new or updated software. yes, many companies do both at the same time, but that does not seem to be the case here.

while most companies have an IT department, they do not have staff that can handle anything new, like robotics or cyber security. companies bring in consultants and/or companies that specialize that, to get the company up and running, so to speak.

thank about this. the federal gov has thousands and thousands of people and each division has it's own IT department. and yet, the IRS had to bring in amazon to fix whatever problem they have to print the $1,200 checks or who knows what else.

i can tell you from my own 30+ year IT experience, those of us that specialize in something, have the phone and/or email ringing off the hook. as if i don't already work enough, i somehow have become a recruiter for other businesses because they can't find people. that's in addition to my regular clients, and recently being asked by a friend (a dean) to teach other professors that normally teach in a classroom how to teach online and FINALLY giving in to taking a multi-year contract for another friend (a chief of staff) to head up and write code (yikes!) to develop a tele-medicine system. the saving grace is that i can do all of this from home. and yes, i have to hire other consultants to help me.