Occasional Contributor

Shipping charges on multiple items

Why not give customers a break on shipping when ordering multiple items? I understand $3.50 shipping on most clothing items is a good deal, but not when you order multiple items and EACH item is $3,50 to ship. I paid $21 shipping for 6 clothing items. No way it costs QVC that much to ship when it's been taking more than 2 weeks to recieve an order. I would not have paid it if the items had not been on sale. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Shipping charges on multiple items

Oh well, they don't.  Some places are worse.  It costs me $15 to have a sweater shipped from another retailer.  I find the s&h reasonable and lots of times it's free.

Honored Contributor

They used to give a break on shipping multiple items but decided they need the profits from shipping to balance the books.  It isn't likely to change anytime soon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have no idea what it costs a company to ship their products to us, but I do know even Amazon is fighting to pay those costs.  Just recently they reported that their sales went up by a large percentage but their profits went down by about 1/6 from the previous report.  Investors are paying over $1700 a share for that company -  they don't like that kind of evidence.

What that tells me first is that I can't afford to invest in Amazon, but what it also tells me for QVC is that giving away money by lowering shipping charges could increase their sales volume, but at the same time doing it might cost a significant share of their profits.  Can QVC do that and survive? 

Trusted Contributor

@LilyMom I agree with you.  Can't they put more than one clothi8ng item in a box or bag?  Other companies do that.

Esteemed Contributor

@LilyMomI also believe that the shipping charges are fair. One reason that they can't offer discount on multliple items is that there are warehouses all over. IE: When I order an Isaac item it comes from CA. I could see it if someone orders ONE item in two colors, same size ~ it would be good to offer a discount ~ but I can also see that becoming confusing.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

When they used to offer half-price S&H on a second, third, etc. item, it was when the original postage was $5.95 or more and you had to be ordering the same item in multiples.

When they changed to S&H per item, it cut the cost in half essentially.  So for those only ordering one of an item, it was a much better deal and the same cost as before for those ordering multiples.

I've had to pay postage for things that some would thing "lightweight" and it's far more than QVC charges me every time.  Plus, I'm having to supply the packaging.  I don't see the argument for the Q's shipping charges being excessive.

Yes, it would be nice to have free shipping over a certain amount, but I just wait for free shipping days.

Trusted Contributor

I thought they used to cut a break on S&H when ordering the same item number but in different colors.  I seem to remember that but I could be totally wrong.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, the items can ship from more than one place and at different times as well.  I understand your point though.  Sometimes I think their shipping policy works in their favor, but I bet other times it does not.  On Saturday I returned 3 things in one big bag.  One was an exchange, and I used that return label, meaning that the return shipping would/should be free to me.  But I am sure QVC  is charged something from the post office for that return shipping, so that is al loss for them.  I have always wondered what kind of "deal" QVC has with their shippers.  Surely they get a discounted rate over what any of us would be charged at the post office.  If we are charged $6.95 for a return, what is QVC charged? Is it a set rate or is every package weighed and charged accordingly?  Maybe someone on here knows.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@VegasBusinessWoman wrote:

@LilyMom I agree with you.  Can't they put more than one clothi8ng item in a box or bag?  Other companies do that.

@LilyMom. @VegasBusinessWoman. They do put several items in a package but they still charge the same shipping per item.  I've gotten boxes with 4 clothing items in them

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment