Trusted Contributor

Re: Reviews On Items Not Received

[ Edited ]

I totally agree.  These reviews should not be allowed. 

I often will report these reviews, although I bet that doesn't do anything.  I've seen negative reviews based on the colors offered of a product.  That has nothing to do with how something performed.

Honored Contributor

People should never rely on reviews.  Lots of vendors hire people to submit reviews on their products.  Yes, some people write reviews without having seen or used the item.  

How in the world would any retailer entirely prevent this.  Many already ask if the reviewer has purchased the item. People can lie or tell the truth.  You can't control it.

There is nothing you can do about it.  Just read reviews with a grain of salt.  It is what it is.

Trusted Contributor

I generally do report the obvious ones, like the one the OP cited. I also reported a lot of the 5 star reviews for David's book, MONTHS before the book was released. I use the reviews as a starting point. If I sort by low ratings and read them, I can weed out the ones that could have been avoided if the reviewer had bothered to read the description of the product, or the posting guidelines, such as reviewing processing, the fact that they ran out of a size or color, etc. I usually start with the low ones and see if there is a trend across them (the product is too loud) and then make my decision. What bothers some people (it is too small), might be perfect for me since I live alone.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just came across a review for Skinnytees that said "they run small"  and people should "order up."

That review was allowed.  I can only guess the person who allowed that review has no clue that skinnytees only come in one size. At least that particular version had one size, as do almost all skinnytees ever offered on QVC.

The reviewers should know what the product is, as well as making an effort to know whether the product was ordered/received.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

It happens many, many times with different products — QVC accepts & posts reviews from people who obviously have not even received the item. Remember when it was announced that Harry Slatkin was coming back to QVC? On the day of his first show, the same day his candles were loaded onto the website, there were several 5-star reviews! Reviews that said, “I’m so glad Harry is back. I cannot wait to get his new candles!” 5-star review.

My suggestion I’ve made many times is for QVC to at least adopt HSN’s review policy: No review will be accepted until HSN’s system shows the item was delivered to you at least 5 days prior to your review. 

Until then, I absolutely & completely ignore all “Customer Top Rated” accolades for any products on QVC.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I generally do report the obvious ones, like the one the OP cited. I also reported a lot of the 5 star reviews for David's book, MONTHS before the book was released. I use the reviews as a starting point. If I sort by low ratings and read them, I can weed out the ones that could have been avoided if the reviewer had bothered to read the description of the product, or the posting guidelines, such as reviewing processing, the fact that they ran out of a size or color, etc. I usually start with the low ones and see if there is a trend across them (the product is too loud) and then make my decision. What bothers some people (it is too small), might be perfect for me since I live alone.

@Lisa now in AZ David's latest cookbook ratings were ridiculous. The book had all 5 stars before it was even shipped. Not even David had a copy. The one he showed on ITKWD was blank inside (just cover printed)/ People clearly gave it 5 stars based on David's popularity. No way QVC should have allowed those reviews to stay...but they did.

Honored Contributor

There are a lot of garbage reviews out there.  That's why I stopped reading them quite some time ago.  When they allow people who haven't purchased the item to post a review, there is no point in have reviews.  Anyone can post anything....and they do.

Occasional Contributor

It is amazing to me that we even need a thread on this!  What is wrong with people, these are supposed to be reviews on the ITEM, not a review on QVC's delivery issues! It is totally unfair to the item maker and does nothing to help other buyers who legitimately want to know about the product from someone who actually has it. Happened to me today when reading comments and I was so annoyed I came to post on here but saw some beat me to it.  Come on QVC, don't allow reviews before a product is received.