Contributor

Refresher Course on How To Present Items

A good host will  remove the article of clothing off the rack so we can get a complete picture of what the item looks like as opposed to just sliding the items back and forth on the rack.   And show the back of the item as well.  

A good host will explain  all the colors within a print not just say the name of the color to order.   Customers want to know what other colors are within the print so they know what  tops/pants accessories will match.  

A good host will advise the lengths of both tops and bottoms.   

A good host will show the entire shoe including the back of the shoe as well as the bottom and tell us the size of the heel.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Refresher Course on How To Present Items

@Love2QIM A "good" host is the key word.  I'm guessing not an important requirement of QVC when hiring these people.

Respected Contributor

"Refresher" seems to indicate that they were "taught" these skills and techniques initially. 

I'm doubting that in many cases.

Valued Contributor

I would much rather know ALL the colors in prints, rather than on and on about what to wear with, where to wear, etc., i.e wear with shorts, with pencil skirts, wear to the grocery store, wear to church, etc.  I think we can all figure that out ourselves!

Respected Contributor

At one time Mary Beth and Jayne Brown trained new hosts. I am not certain how that is currently being done. I will say peer influence can be more powerful than training particularity over a stretch of time. This is not always a good thing.

I think a yearly back to basics training for all hosts would be helpful in breaking bad habits or in some cases no habits. Trying to listen to producers in your ear while talking and concentrating is not an easy skill to develop. Something gets overlooked. Unfortunately, it is sometimes measurements, fabric content, and other product descriptions. Reinforcing positive behaviors involves reteach and redirection in any educational setting.

Valued Contributor

@Love2QIM ...I know you didn't mention any names, but I am pretty sure you were describing a "good host".............like, Carolyn.

Esteemed Contributor

A good host will provide sizing information - what size they, the vendor and models are wearing.

Valued Contributor

and a good host would not use the word etc. etc. constantly in every presentation as if they don't need to explain the product...in otherwords...look it up yourself.

Trusted Contributor

@just wonder wrote:

I would much rather know ALL the colors in prints, rather than on and on about what to wear with, where to wear, etc., i.e wear with shorts, with pencil skirts, wear to the grocery store, wear to church, etc.  I think we can all figure that out ourselves!

@just wonder     One day my little granddaughter was visiting and QVC was on.  When one of the hosts was listing all the places you could wear an outfit...she said. ...

"How about the recycling center"....  It just struck me as funny at the time.    

Trusted Contributor

A good hosts does what his or her supervisor instructs them to do, not what the people on this board thinks they should do. It should be obvious that QVC has different criteria than the relatively few people on this board. 

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson