Occasional Contributor

Red... Blue based or yellow based?

When an item of clothing is offered in the red family, please state whether the red has a blue base or yellow base. I've ordered several items described by the host as "lipstick red" thinking it was a pure red. It usually is yellow based which I don't like. Specifying the underlying tone would be very helpful.

Honored Contributor

Re: Red... Blue based or yellow based?

[ Edited ]

@Rumplestiltskin2,

I agree!

That is so important  as to if wanting to order it or not!

I appreciate how Carolyn always says if its a blue red or not.i don't like yellow reds either and I think yes "lipstick reds" which doesn't describe much are yellow reds!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Super Contributor

For sure! Red comes in a multitude of shades / hues and they don't all look good on everyone!

"Fire Engine Red" = yellow based

"Candy Apple Red" =  blue based

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

might be above the skills of some there  to grasp the concepts 

Trusted Contributor

I agree!!! Only Marybeth and Carolyn describe colors. The other hosts just want to tell you that you can wear it to the grocery store and out to lunch.
Esteemed Contributor

The designers of these lines should tell us customers  what tone base their reds are instead of the stupid banter that  ensues with some Hosts . Give us the info  before the banter please. 

I to prefer  blue tone red rather than  yellow tone.

Honored Contributor

Great suggestion.  

Honored Contributor

The vendors Zooming from home have opened my eyes about how inconsistently colors are represented.  The difference between their sample and the host's sample is sometimes quite dramatic.    

Trusted Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The vendors Zooming from home have opened my eyes about how inconsistently colors are represented.  The difference between their sample and the host's sample is sometimes quite dramatic.    

I usually look online because the colors almost always look more vibrant on my TV -- been disappointed too many times when I get it home.

Agree on describing the red tones.  I prefer the brighter, yellow-based reds.  Q does a lot of blue-based reds.  I have been pleased with the "poppy" red this year!

Honored Contributor

@depglass wrote:

The vendors Zooming from home have opened my eyes about how inconsistently colors are represented.  The difference between their sample and the host's sample is sometimes quite dramatic

I've noticed that too. I don't know if it's the lighting or what!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"