New Contributor

Hey Rachel:  

Have been looking for a double-boiler for use with your hard anodized pots and pans set.  Love using the pots and pans.  So I gave away my Revere ware to my niece, which I had had for years and years, which included my double-boiler..    Help, please, please.  

Respected Contributor

I have her hard anodized pots and pans as well.  Sorry to say I do not think they will ever outlast Revere Ware.  My mom used her set for 40+ years and I wish I had them😢

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Very few cookware manufacturers make double boilers these days for a couple of reasons.

For one, double boilers are used to provide gentle heat to ingredients which need meltin (e.g. chocolate) or require slow, gentle heating (eg. hollandaise sauce, egg whites for swiss meringe).  For.  Manu newer lines of cookware are better constructed than te of the past, providing more even heating and fewer hotspots; also, many of today's cooktops can provide lower, gentler heat than stoves of the past (remember when people used to have to buy "simmer  mats" to go over the burner to provide better heat?).   Additionally, the microwave is now utilised by most people for melting ingredients.

Another rreason that we do not see double boilers is that they re relly a unnecessary piece of speciality equipment that is rarely used and only takes up space.  On those rare occasions when one needs one, most peole simply use a bain marie (i.e. placing a metal or glass bowl over a pan of simmering water).  This works as well, and this is how professional chefs have always done it.

Honored Contributor

I've been using my Revereware for 42 years and it still looks and cooks like new.  

New Contributor

Loved my Revere ware, but didn't have enough storage for both all my Revereware and RR pots.  So decided to pass on my Revereware to my niece who is just starting to cook.  I don't cook as much - lots of one pot cooking which the RR pots are good for.  

New Contributor

I agree with your comments.  But I love to gently steam my artichokes.  I do have a little rack to put in my pots which is probably what I will probably have to do.  

With my Revereware pots over the years, I had bought various insert boiler pots that fit in varous sizes of regular pots.  

Now as a senior single lady, I didn't need as many pots and pans.  Just need a few to fit a different life style since I don't cook as much. But I want pots that cook the way I want to cook.  Which is why I passed on my big collection of Revereware to a new cook who is learning.  

Valued Contributor

THANKS FOR POSTING THIS, i AM 60 AND STILL HAVE THE SET i BOUGHT AT 20 YEARS OLD!

Valued Contributor

i HAVE A SET THIS OLD TOO AND i WONDER IF THEY STILL ACTUALLY HAVE THE REAL COPPER ON THE BOTTOM AS THEY ARE NOT MADE IN usa ANY MORE AND THAT SADDENS ME.