Valued Contributor

Question about sustainability for fish

I noticed when QVC is trying to sell fish, the vendor states that it is from the wild (I forget how they word it).  However, the fish are actually being FARMED in the ocean so yes, they are living in their natural water but they are restricted and also being fed and cared for by the fish farmers.  Would you say that is the same as "sustainable wild caught" fish or is this different?

Thanks in advance.

"I never changed, I just learned."
Respected Contributor

Re: Question about sustainability for fish

As far as I know "wild caught" refers to fish caught in their "natural environment."  No mention of raising them in pens (even if the pens are submerged in natural waters.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

It is a complex subject and I'd say buyer beware and be informed if this is an issue that is important to you for either health or ecological reasons.

Otherwise, don't worry about it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Unless we can see the clip or read the exact wording, we can not form an opinion.  

Esteemed Contributor

Using ...Fish Gates is bad?

Valued Contributor

The difference is like night and day. Farmed fish, even though farmed in the ocean, are fed a specific diet full of antibiotics, etc. Its a marketing ploy to claim the fish as wild. I now buy all my fish from a company in the Pacific Northwest called Vital Choice. We have never had fresher wild fish and they ship all across the country. Always arrives frozen solid!!

Esteemed Contributor

@furbabylover  Thanks for posting about Vitak Choice. Looks wonderful. Thinking about ordering.

Honored Contributor

I buy my seafood from Great Alaska Seafood in Soldotna, Alaska. comes frozen and is shipped overnight.  I've found their prices and quality to be outstanding....better than any other fishery I've tried.   

Esteemed Contributor

Farm raised is not "wild caught".   simple as that.

Trusted Contributor

Yes. 

~Life is short. Eat well. Because you may die tomorrow.~