Honored Contributor

Re: QVC...give your staff Thanksgiving OFF please

@Carmie wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ  Wow, that is amazing.  I just looked on their website and they are the only county in NJ that still does this.

Here is PA, we still have some municipalities that cannot sell or serve alcohol beverages, but in recent years, some of them now do.

i love to hear about places that have retained their old laws and find it interesting.  Thanks for posting.

I live in Bergen County and interesting is not the word  I would describe our Blue Laws,

Respected Contributor

There are many industries/companies that function 24/7, so many workers are on duty, not just Monday thru Friday, 9 am to 5pm.   I see nothing wrong with shopping channels being on the air.  If you object, don't watch.

My husband works in a hotel (has done so for almost his entire working career) and he will go to work Thanksgiving morning.  No big deal, no whining and complaining.  It's in the job description. Put on your adult clothes and get on with it.  End of story.

Esteemed Contributor

@shopperinme

It's a nice sentiment but it's not going to happen. Like others have said it's all about the dollar, and retailers across the nation will be open at some point tomorrow on Thanks- Giving day.

QVC, does give their employees Christmas Off. I want to say they close around 1:00 p.m. on Christmas eve, and then they open back up or resume live programming around 8:00 a.m. the day after Christmas.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

Happy Thanksgiving @shopperinme.

i didn’t mean any disrespect to you and your idea is a good one, but unfortunally, we do not live in Camelot and it won’t happen anytime soon.

There are many people who work on Thanksgiving, including many members of my family.  We should remember to give thanks to them for their Sacrifice on this day and every day to keep us safe and healthy and for helping feed others or tending to our sick.

Shopping is not important, but all over America, people will run out to shop on Thanksgiving Day to save a few dollars on our almighty imported junk.  It’s a sign of the times and sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@shopperinme wrote:

Qvc......

You have a great staff that are very dedicated and wonderful people and hosts. Please think of them and their time with their families and give them 2 days off air all together, per year, Thanksgiving and Christmas. My suggestion is to run prerecorded programming for the day. You may already be doing this on Christmas day, not sure. Anyway, nobody is going to wither away because QVC is off air for these important days. I've heard so many of them today say they will be there tomorrow, Thanksgiving day. Come on, give them the day with their families. I truly believe this is highly important, especially in these hard times of today's living.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

Thank for the laugh o/p, but it aint gonna happen.

The times have changed.

Time to stop living in the dark ages of yesteryear.

The hosts and staff knew of the holiday policy when they took the job.

You really think that QVC brass is going to listen to you?

Seriously?

Ha-ha-ha.

They won't, but nice try!

Esteemed Contributor

I have people in my family that were required to work Holidays......I just adjust the day or time for our meal 

It doesn't bother me if "Thanksgiving" ends up on Saturday....

Honored Contributor

I don't begrudge people making time and a half or double time.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE Unfortunately so many of the stores do not pay over-time for double time for working a holiday, my husband never was, it was a requirement for the job. too bad if your sceduled day  fell on a holiday, but then my husband worked for Kmart, enough said look at where they are now, LOL!  But then on one job, he worked overnights, but actually started at 11:00 pm., but they never paid him overtime either as his shift started at 11:00 pm so it was officially not the holiday, say what?  7 hours were worked on the holiday, but it went by start time, not end time, once he found that out, he took vacation days on every holiday that fell during his work schedule, but now that I think about full-time employees received holidays, so he was being scammed. oh well he does not work there anymore!

Honored Contributor

I am sure the employees that are scheduled to work adjust the Dinner time with their families based around their schedule..... We always did that if my Mom had to work on a Holiday-she was a nurse....I know that QVC and HSN and Evine all shutdown around 3pm on Christmas Eve, and do not re-open until December 26th AM, so at least they get that......