Honored Contributor

Re: Pronouncing ""important""

On 10/21/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I'm sorry but why is this a big deal? There are many ways to pronounce a word, usually due to regional differences. Stop judging and just relax and enjoy life.

I have to agree... Other than gross mispronunciations that are not at all accurate, I find these consistent threads about the way people speak to be far more unfortunate than minor individual differences...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

It's all geographical.

Love my friends in the Boston area, but they drive: caaaaas.

My friends in the PA area, trim their: buuuushes.

Is exact pronunciation on TV really vital ..... unless you are taking an on-line ESL class perhaps.

Honored Contributor

On 10/21/2014 golfcartrider said:
On 10/21/2014 Pook said:
On 10/21/2014 CalmInTheHeart said:

I'm sorry but why is this a big deal? There are many ways to pronounce a word, usually due to regional differences. Stop judging and just relax and enjoy life.

Exactly!

When threads like this are started it makes me more aware that nearly everyone does this and just doesn't realize it! I know when I read something out loud formally, I annunciate the letters but just in conversation don't. It's actually kind of amusing and can sound condescending to hear someone annunciate articulately in a casual conversation as most don't do this.

If pronouncing words correctly is not a big deal why is it such a big deal to some posters to correct English, punctuation, spelling etc. on the threads?

It goes to the posting standard of it is OK to do or same some things but not others.

Agreed that minor oversights and occasional errors might just as well be ignored or possibly corrected in a follow-up post that doesn't draw attention to the error or to the correction. That said, when a statement doesn't make any sense, because of typos, misspellings or just plain failure to proof-read, then all bets are off... For example, I'm unclear as to what your second sentence, above, is trying to convey... Hey, we all make errors from time to time, but consistently sloppy writing that goes uncorrected by the writer does bug some people...

Wink

Honored Contributor

It seems to me I do recall Lisa Mason saying 'impordant' and that it used to sort of stand out to me, but verbal differences are to be expected... Written differences that are patently incorrect are a little different... At the end of the day though, these are just message boards. No one is writing a thesis here...

Super Contributor

It bugs me as well. Pronouncing a word with an accent is different from total mispronouncing.
Respected Contributor

I see the error in my ways, my typos and failure to proof read have caused confusion.

I will in the future "try" to be perfect when making comments, I can't make any promises but I will do my best.

Thank You to the poster for pointing my errors out to me.Smile

Don't worry, be Happy!
Respected Contributor

Good heavens Budget Master, if the words these hosts use turn you off from buying any thing go and shop on line there you will have perfect pictures to look at and you won't have to listen to the host or the person who brought the product to QVC.

Contributor

For those of you who sing in a church choir, did you know that it's more effective and easier to sing "Cheezus" instead of "Jesus?" When singing, Cheezus sounds more like Jesus. Just a little bit of trivia.

Respected Contributor

On 10/29/2014 cater said:

Good heavens Budget Master, if the words these hosts use turn you off from buying any thing go and shop on line there you will have perfect pictures to look at and you won't have to listen to the host or the person who brought the product to QVC.

Can't you be nice at all? Every comment you make is to put someone down. You accuse everyone else but you do it constantly.

Don't worry, be Happy!