Trusted Contributor

Re: Please correct Amy Stran!

Unfortunately, the button down ship has sailed. Just like the fabrication ship. 

Super Contributor

One would think that anyone in front of millions of viewers would strive to be professional in their presentations!!! Well, I guess, its todays society!! Sad.

Esteemed Contributor

@Becky from Texas wrote:

Nope - the industry has not changed its use of the phrase. It' just people who don't take the time to learn the correct descriptions, yet want to appear knowledgeable.

@Becky from Texas 

Please forgive me for using the term "button down" incorrectly all these years. I believe it gained popularity with button down school uniform shirts and simply carried over to any shirt we button from the top down. I mean seriously who buttons their shirts from the bottom up? But I do so want to "appear knowledgeable".

And I in turn will overlook your use of the slang word "nope". Is this common usage for the word "no" in the fashion industry, because it sounds a bit "hicky" to me.😄

Honored Contributor

I don't care.

It sounds like semantics to me. As someone said, definitions change over time so I'll go with Webster's.

Valued Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Anyone else remember wearing white oxford cloth (100% cotton) button down shirts (collar buttoned down) under a Shetland sweater with Levis or your HS uniform skirt?  Ahhh simpler days. 

Blouses buttoned up the front but not the collar.  Button down collars were preferred under pullovers sweaters because they looked neater under them and also under sweatshirts.

No liquid knit, fabrication, etc.  Nice to remember but I love all the fashion choices we have today and who cares what we call them.  Easy care fabrics (took forever to iron that oxford cloth) are a Godsend.  

I have Google to find exactly what I want.  

@mspatmac Oh, how I remember the ordeal of ironing the oxford cloth blouses. First, you had to sprinkle them and roll them up  After that, they went into a large plastic bag (we had three girls in our home) and spent time in the refrigerator until sufficiently wilted.  Even then, ironing was not easy.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

You are correct and so is Amy! Buttons down the front of a shirt is 

considered a button down shirt.  My Father worked in the garment 

industry in New York City with skirts and blouses, I remember

a shirt with buttons down the front was always called a button down shirt...

Honored Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Anyone else remember wearing white oxford cloth (100% cotton) button down shirts (collar buttoned down) under a Shetland sweater with Levis or your HS uniform skirt Ahhh simpler days. 

Blouses buttoned up the front but not the collar.  Button down collars were preferred under pullovers sweaters because they looked neater under them and also under sweatshirts.

No liquid knit, fabrication, etc.  Nice to remember but I love all the fashion choices we have today and who cares what we call them.  Easy care fabrics (took forever to iron that oxford cloth) are a Godsend.  

I have Google to find exactly what I want.  

@mspatmac 

White button down collar shirt with my favorite Black Watch Plaid wool kilt and my navy blue cardigan and knee socks.  A shiny gold kilt pin and penny loafers completed the ensemble.  Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

Thank you for providing the OG meaning of "button down shirt".

Nice to know,....and see?  Some of us can learn something new every day. Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

ratsass.png