Honored Contributor

Re: Please correct Amy Stran!

@SilleeMee wrote:

Who knew..!?

@SilleeMee    We'll argue about anything!

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Anyone else remember wearing white oxford cloth (100% cotton) button down shirts (collar buttoned down) under a Shetland sweater with Levis or your HS uniform skirt?  Ahhh simpler days. 

Blouses buttoned up the front but not the collar.  Button down collars were preferred under pullovers sweaters because they looked neater under them and also under sweatshirts.

No liquid knit, fabrication, etc.  Nice to remember but I love all the fashion choices we have today and who cares what we call them.  Easy care fabrics (took forever to iron that oxford cloth) are a Godsend.  

I have Google to find exactly what I want.  

Respected Contributor

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter?? I'm sure people understand what was meant. Seems some are wound too tight and need to get some fresh air instead of taking the time to complain about such a thing.

Trusted Contributor

I always button down my button up shirts, and I unbutton them down too. Have I been doing it wrong? 😕

Esteemed Contributor

Goodness gracious.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've heard many people refer to a shirt that buttons as a button down shirt.  I think the definition has changed industry-wide since shirts with button collars aren't so popular anymore.

I agree with @Kachina624 

And besides....WHO GIVES A HOOT?  Seriously!!!

Just selling a shirt with buttons.

Amy has bosses in her ear all show.  If she 'needs' correcting, they will do it.

SMH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Becky from Texas wrote:

Nope - the industry has not changed its use of the phrase. It' just people who don't take the time to learn the correct descriptions, yet want to appear knowledgeable.

Gosh @Becky from Texas 

From reading the posts from @Zhills   and @Caaareful Shopper 

you are incorrect.

Once again, the dictionary has confirmed there is nothing wrong with what was said.

Why all the nitpicking?  Does it really matter to a potential purchase?

Trusted Contributor

Many QVC customers don't speak fashion garment industry jargon, and don't think of a collar when they hear button down shirt. QVC knows their customers.

button down 01.JPG

button down 02.JPG

Esteemed Contributor

Seriously....do we have to correct each host for using their own terminology vs. what is considered correct?? 

Super Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I've heard many people refer to a shirt that buttons as a button down shirt.  I think the definition has changed industry-wide since shirts with button collars aren't so popular anymore.

I agree with @Kachina624 

And besides....WHO GIVES A HOOT?  Seriously!!!

Just selling a shirt with buttons.

Amy has bosses in her ear all show.  If she 'needs' correcting, they will do it.

SMH

Exactly right!

Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.