Honored Contributor

Re: Please Lock Old Threads......

@Moonchilde wrote:

@CalminHeart wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

that are at least a year old and haven't had any activity on them in that time.

That way trolls can't flood forums by bringing up threads that are ancient.

Why can't this be done???

This would require IT programming and hours.  If Q is like the Fortune 500 company I work for, they have a certain number of IT hours (ie: programmers and testers) available so they prioritize projects and system updates.  Thus, some things don't get done.   Having been involved in prioritizing such projects over the years, my guess is this one falls close to the bottom since it's financial impact is minimal.  

That's my take on it. The effort and man-hours involved would not be worth it. QVC "listens" to consumers, and makes changes, when it affects their bottom line. If it doesn't affect sales...pfft!

The actual programming process for this would be simple and not time-consuming.   It's very easy to create a loop through a database to search for criteria and then set variables.   This could be done during a scheduled maintenance downtime.   And after the initial run to clean up the entire database, the software could execute on a recurring basis to find and close newer threads that fit the criteria (such as older than one year and a day, for example).    I think it's a very good idea and, in the long run, would save time for the moderators...  but I agree QVC is probably not interested in looking into it.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

I say lock them and throw away the key Heart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Esteemed Contributor

I'd also like to see a purge of "reserved" and unused nics.  A lot of the "new first time posters" have signup dates going back to 2010.  They are about as new as Methuselah was young.  Really, who signs up and waits six plus years to make their first post.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Many forums use software that has this option built in automatically.

I know that TripAdvisor does this with old threads,   I can't imagine a human is going to each an every thread in each and every forum on there and closing old threads.  It has to be built into the software.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

Many forums use software that has this option built in automatically.

I know that TripAdvisor does this with old threads,   I can't imagine a human is going to each an every thread in each and every forum on there and closing old threads.  It has to be built into the software.

And if it isn't built in (as is most likely the case), then we and QVC are out of luck until they choose a different software platform.

I'm sure Lithium (software company) sells all types of forum software solutions and options. From all appearances since the change-over, QVC has bought some basic package that has what it has and can't be tinkered with.

I don't think QVC ever intended for for their in-house IT people to have much if anything to do with the forum software. So, while an IT person *could* tweak and make customizations, I think it would need to be Lithium's IT (who hold the rights) people. QVC's IT people probably don't have the right to tinker with a Lithium trademarked "package." Alternatively, QVC could likely have paid more money for a different package that included customizations they could go back and ask for. But, they apparently didn't.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Old threads won't be locked or deleted because when the majority voted, they wanted them kept open.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

Old threads won't be locked or deleted because when the majority voted, they wanted them kept open.

Well...opinions were certainly given, I do remember that ;-) I don't specifically remember that question being asked in the QVC polls, i.e. would you, or not, want old threads locked, but it's possible.

Even if people did say they wanted the threads left unlocked, there have been many requests that posters have had that QVC has not, and probably will not ever, do, i.e. because a dozen or even two dozen posters say they'd like something a certain way doesn't mean QVC does what they ask.

The polls were just polls to see how people felt, not an election. They gave us some things, other things, no.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

Well...opinions were certainly given, I do remember that ;-) I don't specifically remember that question being asked in the QVC polls, i.e. would you, or not, want old threads locked, but it's possible.

Even if people did say they wanted the threads left unlocked, there have been many requests that posters have had that QVC has not, and probably will not ever, do, i.e. because a dozen or even two dozen posters say they'd like something a certain way doesn't mean QVC does what they ask.

The polls were just polls to see how people felt, not an election. They gave us some things, other things, no.

@GCR18 and @Moonchilde,  I believe the results of the survey said most posters wanted the threads available to read but closed for comment.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo

Some of the specifics are a little fuzzy it was too long ago.  I do know though it's a hot topic and the threads aren't going anywhere.