Honored Contributor

@Porcelain 

We used to have an 'ignore' button, but it went away with the last forum changes and Mods have said that it's not coming back.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain.  We used to have an ignore feature, however when we got the new system several years ago, that feature wasn't included and the mods said it couldn't be added.  End of discussion

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Porcelain.  We used to have an ignore feature, however when we got the new system several years ago, that feature wasn't included and the mods said it couldn't be added.  End of discussion

That's too bad. If it's impossible, I guess it's impossible. Seems to me like there ought to be modular plugins available for forum platforms like this one. But if not, I guess I that's just the way it is.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

I've always found it very easy to skip right past threads started by users who are known for stirring up trouble or only posting complaints, and it's just as easy to scroll past individual comments in a thread. The titles of threads can also be a simple clue as to whether it's worth your time and potential aggravation to check them out. But most importantly, everyone is welcome to share thoughts and opinions in these forums whether anyone else agrees or cares or doesn't, as long as they're following the rules—and there's no need to implement special technology features to avoid/exclude people.

Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Could we please have a mute button in the forum? That way I could mute posters that repeatedly rile me up instead of engaging with them. Much better for the blood pressure.

My question to everyone: If this forum had a mute button, would you use it? Even if you would use it on me, I would still love to know. Or is there already some sort of function that I don't know about that would accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

We had one years ago before they changed the forums over and I loved it. We've been asking for one ever since, but they say they are unable to implement one with whatever software they've chosen.

Honored Contributor

No, I don't think I would use it.  I never used it when it was available.

There are many people that post things I am diametrically opposed to, and some are just continually downright rude to others.  However, sometimes those same people will post something that I do agree with.  Or, they will frame an argument with a different perspective than mine, which will make me stop and think.  Sometimes, I may even change my mind.

It also gives me a better idea of what people are thinking.  So I don't get caught up in my own little views.  

Honored Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

I've always found it very easy to skip right past threads started by users who are known for stirring up trouble or only posting complaints, and it's just as easy to scroll past individual comments in a thread. The titles of threads can also be a simple clue as to whether it's worth your time and potential aggravation to check them out. But most importantly, everyone is welcome to share thoughts and opinions in these forums whether anyone else agrees or cares or doesn't, as long as they're following the rules—and there's no need to implement special technology features to avoid/exclude people.

@loriqvc 

Well said! 👍

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Could we please have a mute button in the forum? That way I could mute posters that repeatedly rile me up instead of engaging with them. Much better for the blood pressure.

My question to everyone: If this forum had a mute button, would you use it? Even if you would use it on me, I would still love to know. Or is there already some sort of function that I don't know about that would accomplish this? Thanks in advance

I don't allow anonymous strangers to have that kind of power over my life.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Trusted Contributor
Personally, I find the all the different opinions and attitudes of the posters to be interesting. It is truly amazing to read how some people's minds actually work. And the flaring of the tempers, snarky comments, etc. Nobody will ever agree on everything and we are all entitled to voice our differences of opinions, however, it can be done in a respectful way. People's personalities are really highlighted in these forums and I am only basing this on some of the, searching for the correct word(s), insulting, demeaning, angry, very angry, defensive, argumentative, downright nasty now, the flip side, pleasant, informative, helpful, sympathetic, empathetic, kind.... comments. Which words describe your personality??!! Hmmmm.?.?.?.?😃😃
Honored Contributor

What you are saying by the mute comment is that you don't want to to encounter anyone who doesn't agree with you.