Honored Contributor

Could we please have a mute button in the forum? That way I could mute posters that repeatedly rile me up instead of engaging with them. Much better for the blood pressure.

(Edited to add: Obviously I don't need a button in order to do this. It would just be nice to use occasionally when I find that I don't want to hear any more from an individual, as a matter of convenience--not necessity. I agree that it is up to me not to engage. And it is silly to link my blood pressure in any way to what others write or say.

In real life, I just walk away from people who are unpleasant and stay away from them. I do not feel I owe it to anyone to stick around once I determine that I do not care to listen to them anymore. And I expect others to do the same.)

My question to everyone: If this forum had a mute button, would you use it? Even if you would use it on me, I would still love to know. Or is there already some sort of function that I don't know about that would accomplish this? Thanks in advance!

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I wouldn't use it because it's ok to hear other opinions even when we think they are crazy. It's good to know how people really feel about each other. People post things that they normally wouldn't say to someone's face.

Honored Contributor

You still have the option of ignore the posters you don't care for.  You are not required to read every single post and every single response that appears on the board.  Most of us pick and choose what we read.  You are in charge of your own blood pressure...LOL

Honored Contributor

I don't have to read or engage in any discussion. It's my decision.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

A mute button???  Since when is there sound in the forums?

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I don't have to read or engage in any discussion. It's my decision.

Ditto what indoor kitty said.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

You still have the option of ignore the posters you don't care for.  You are not required to read every single post and every single response that appears on the board.  Most of us pick and choose what we read.  You are in charge of your own blood pressure...LOL

I forget who is who sometimes. It takes a really unpleasant interaction for me to remember. And that rarely happens. Sometimes people change their names as well.

But I also agree with you @chrystaltree . My blood pressure, my responsibility. My reading choices, my responsibility. My responses or no, my responsibility. Sigh. Still would like a mute button though.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

Wouldn't use it.  Everyone can post what they want and only I have control over whether I choose to view posts,  reply to a post and how I react to a post.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: Mute Button

[ Edited ]

Oh, I would use it! 

Many of the people with the highest number of posts seem to be the constant contrarians. If you say the sky is blue they must contradict and interject their wisdom with the obvious - that the sky is sometimes gray...just to play the devil's advocate.  I suspect it is designed to create more post "notches" for them.  However, I just find them annoying...which is also part of their gameplan.  I would LOVE to mute or block them...bunches of them!  There are certain names whose post I just will never read any longer...I skip right over them when I see their names.  I am open to hearing and learning from people with different views or opinions, but we all know who we are really talking about and it is not those that make you think in a new way or see things from a different perspective.  Bring on the mute/block button!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Respected Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

A mute button???  Since when is there sound in the forums?

She means an Ignore button.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York