Hi, a suggestion to the hosts: Please refrain from referring to Memorial Day as a celebratory holiday. I understand it’s a holiday and the unofficial start of summer, but please consider the meaning of this particular day. Thank you.
Honored Contributor

@Coffeebeanie 

Memorial Day IS a celebratory holiday in my mind.

The country celebrates those heroes who gave their lives to protect our country and it's citizens. 

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Either way, it has been a major retail 'sale' time forever.  Memorial Day 'sales' are as old as the hills.

I doubt anyone means any disrespect, but it is a time where sales are pushed.

I don't see that changing.

Honored Contributor

@Coffeebeanie   Just because people go to parades, have picnics, etc. doesn’t mean they are at all disrespectful of anyone.  In truth, I feel those we honor on that holiday themselves participate —unless the town where I was part of the parade was extremely different from the rest of the nation.

Honored Contributor

We all remember on this day. I remember DH's grandmother always called it "Decoration Day." When I asked her why she said it is the day we "decorate" the graves. 

My family never called it that, but my mom and grandmother always made sure they had planted flowers at the cemeteries by that weekend. So we do that too ( unfortunately we live far away, so we haven't made that road trip in a while- maybe this May).

Anyway - I always appreciate seeing Carolyn with American West on that weekend. At least QVC is conscious about focusing on America. 

And it has always been the unofficial start to summer!  Whether we're celebrating by gathering, picnicking, and/or getting in the water somewhere, I think those we remember would be happy we're doing it.  Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

@Coffeebeanie -I know where you're coming from.  Once, I heard a host say-Happy Good Friday! 😱   That really threw me!

Esteemed Contributor

won't give an honest opinion on this forum . I have freedom to call the day as I and my Family prefer , as we honor all those military Veterans  who died to preserve our Freedom.

Honored Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

won't give an honest opinion on this forum . I have freedom to call the day as I and my Family prefer , as we honor all those military Veterans  who died to preserve our Freedom.

So true. We have a family member whose plane was shot down. They found the bodies of the other crew members, but they never found him (the pilot). 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Memorial Day

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@skatting44 wrote:

So true. We have a family member whose plane was shot down. They found the bodies of the other crew members, but they never found him (the pilot). 

I cried when North  Korea returned some of our  soldiers  remains . I can't imagine how the families  felt. Hope they finished all the dna testing to sort the remains . I had many military ancestors from  various wars  . I was always reminded as a child of our freedoms that are so often taken for granted .

Honored Contributor

@Coffeebeanie   I think people are well intentioned when they do this.  I do think many are confused about what it's all about. 

Memorial Day is for remembering those who died in active duty. 

While it doesn't offend me, I do think there are better ways to express it than, "happy memorial day".   I asked DH how he feels about it (he is a disabled vet from the Viet Nam war).  He said...." it sounds a little to him like, "happy funeral day".  Not that he doesn't want people to honor the fallen dead in any way they can....it just is not the most appropriate thing to say.