Valued Contributor

Is it working QVC?

[ Edited ]

Genuinely curious.....

My Q shopping pretty much came to a grinding halt around the time you went to showing TSV reruns through the overnight hours. I spent some time late last night going over receipts and bank statements and was pretty amazed at the steep decline in my Q spending. 

Not interested in beating the horse carcass, but would really like to know if the amount of money saved by airing reruns has outweighed the loss in revenue.

I'm only one person, but the difference in what I have spent is shockingly substantial......and....I'm a Gemini, so curiosity can really do us in lol. 

(for the record I'm probably considered a QVC cheerleader...loved shopping at the Q, and most of my work wardrobe comes from the Q. Apparently though I'm influenced to buy through actually watching, and not online perusing)

Whatever gets you through the night; it's alright, it's alright. It's your money or your life; it's alright, it's alright---John Lennon
Honored Contributor

Reruns are just another way for Q cut expenses with the typical big business mentality....cuts to salaries and people without care.  i compare it to self-checkouts at stores which also take away jobs.

Honored Contributor

I would guess that it is working.  A lot of people would have to spend a lot of money to make up for the cost of being live 24/7.    HSN and ShopHQ have been showing reruns at night for years.

Maybe you could record some of the shows during the day and then play them at night?  I don't think the Q will ever go back to 24 hour live shows.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

I would guess that it is working.  A lot of people would have to spend a lot of money to make up for the cost of being live 24/7.    HSN and ShopHQ have been showing reruns at night for years.

Maybe you could record some of the shows during the day and then play them at night?  I don't think the Q will ever go back to 24 hour live shows.

Love that some of the night hosts can be seen during the daytime hours.

Trusted Contributor

The reruns suck.  A cheap way to save money.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it working QVC?

[ Edited ]

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50 

While in the short run cutting back on live programming might save money in terms of host and production crew salaries and expenses....BUT....in the long term is this hurting QVC in terms of sales/revenues....thats the question....we will see in future financial reports.....

It seems odd that QVC would implement a practice that HSN has followed, and HSN is certainly NOT  the Shopping Channel to emulate when their financial decline lead to them putting themselves on the open market and selling their remaining stock to Liberty Interactive (which already owned 38%)...and as we now know....Liberty combined their retail companies HSN/QVC/and other properties(Grandin Road etc) into now that is known by Qurate....which hasnt done so well the last few quaters.....and Zulilly is tanking too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@kaydee50 

While in the short run cutting back on live programming might save money in terms of host and production crew salaries and expenses....BUT....in the long term is this hurting QVC in terms of sales/revenues....thats the question....we will see in future financial reports.....

It seems odd that QVC would implement a practice that HSN has followed, but HSN is not the Shopping Channel to emulate when their financial decline lead to them putting themselves on the open market and their remaining stock sold to Liberty Interactive which already owned 38% of their stock.....which they combined HSN/QVC/and other properties(Grandin Road etc) into Qurate

@Spurt 

This is what first struck me when I heard about the reruns overnight.

Although I do believe that they've added back one hour in live programming, so that leads me to believe that someone is watching the bottom line after all.  

IMO, if they don't get their act together in so many other areas, it really isn't going to make any difference whether they're live all night or not.

Honored Contributor

Who can watch three channels day and night?  The best stuff is featured in the daytime anyway.  So if you are an overnight viewer tape the daytime shows you are interested in seeing instead of what they feed you.  

Honored Contributor

You'd think if it wasn't working that they'd go back to live broadcasting.

And even as I sit here writing on this Sunday morning, there's an Amazon Prime truck just pulled into my cul de sac.  But do keep in mind that Amazon makes almost no profit when they sell to us consumers.  Even though they might sell a billion packages a year and ship most "free"  -- their 2 Billion+ profits are virtually all from their Prime fees, their cloud services, and other types of non-merchandise they persuade us to buy.

The result is good for consumers who like buying from the Amazon choices, but in the long run, it's concentrating our buying choices in the same way we complained years ago about Walmart destroying our Main Streets.  

Respected Contributor

OP- your purchases were a teeny tiny blip compared to the cost of running QVC live 24/7.

1. If it had made a difference they would not be showing reruns. Gee whizz, shop online if you want to shop for 24 hours!