Honored Contributor

Re: Is it virtuous to never check your luggage?

I don't consider it "virtuous" either way.  It just depends on what suits your needs and priorities.  (If traveling for a conference.... overhead on board - if traveling with scuba gear.. checked in.)  I don't understand why anyone would take pride in their decision ....just do what is practical for your situation.

Honored Contributor

It's annoying having to wait for everyone and their brother to get their bags before deplaning. Maybe let those who don't have bags excluding business and first, get off before and that will cut back on a number of carry-on bags. 

I'm sure this won't be popular!

Honored Contributor

If you fly for business and have important meetings, you'd better get it in the carry on or else.  My husband could move to Euorpe in a carry on I think!  He got good at it real quick!!!!  Woman Very Happy

It's something  lot of people have to figure out how to do. 

Honored Contributor

There's no pride in it, I haven't checked my luggage in more years than I can remember.  It's a matter of convenience.  I don't want to trek to the carousel  and stand their waiting for my bags.  When I arrive at my destination, I just want to get on with my trip. I don't want to pay baggage fees.  We travel light so everything I need or want fits in my tote that I stash under the seat and my suitcase that fits in the overhead.  I don't give a diddlysquat about airline baggage workers.  Proving jobs for them is not my responsibility just as other people waiting while I grab my bag is not my responsibility.  My responsibility is to get myself off the plane and out of the airport as quickly as possible.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I always check baggage.  No way I'm taking just a carry-on crammed with "multi-purpose" clothes and shoes.  

I need "all my stuff."  

The only thing I'm carrying is my bag and small tote with my book and knitting!

@ALRATIBA 

I use my carry-on for any valuables, meds, etc.

My clothes, etc. that I'll need while I'm there, I ship to my destination a little ahead of time, where it's waiting for me there when I arrive.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it's all relative to the length of your trip.  if it's a long weekend a carryon  will do for most.

If your going for a week or longer like I just did of course you have to check your luggage.  From my experience, luggage comes fast.  The only problem I had was last year on a cruise down the Mississippi for 8 days.  They rifled through my checked luggage.  Messed everything up.  Random checks and I got it.  It didn't happen this time to and back home  from Madrid last week.

Just make sure to put your medications in your carry on.

Once your at your destination, split them up.  Most here have read my recent dilemma, big lesson learned......

Honored Contributor

@mac116 wrote:

My sister and her husband NEVER check a bag.  She convinced me that I could just use a carry-on for an 8 day cruise.  What a mistake!!  I happily check a bag if I'm going for longer than a weekend.

@mac116 

LOL ... did you end up going shopping for more clothes while on that trip?  I'll bet the on-ship stores do a ton of business!  

Trusted Contributor

@Tinkrbl44:

I did buy a few things, but more importantly, I just didn't feel confident with my appearance.  Washing things out in the tiny bathroom sink...ridiculous!

Esteemed Contributor

@Becky from Texas wrote:

Okay - for several months I have heard 2 people on QVC talk about never checking luggage on their airflights (Kerstin and Renee). They speak about it with pride - almost as if there is something virtuous about it. I see it exactly the opposite and wanted to hear from others. My rationale: #1 there are employees who earn their living from handling checked luggage, so I am helping them when I check my bags. #2 there are airlines who do not charge an additional fees for checking luggage, so it doesn't cost me anything other than perhaps a tip. #3 I can exit the plane quickly when it lands, and I am not delaying other passengers as I struggle to collect mine (and my kids) luggage from overhead bins. I have a pet peeve about those who are so inconsiderate and delay other's exits while they hunt down the several pieces they stowed above. So please - stop lecturing me about how wonderful it is that your "kids have never in their lives checked luggage"! That is not admirable. It is not a virtue. It is inconsiderate to the other passengers! I would rather airlines STOP allowing passengers to carryon their bags.

What do you think?

Umm, err, I don't know about virtuoisity, but I do take into consideration the airline.  Many airlines charge for checked bags.  I don't know what type of flying you do, but many will charge $25.00 and up per bag.  Then consider, that when one airline does it, the rest follow suit.  People who don't check their luggage either don't require it or are trying to save money.  Carry on's are permissable.  No one is getting a bag from the overhead bin that doesn't fit in that bin.  

What does this have to do with suggestions for QVC anyway?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Apparently its a great source of pride for many, especially Kerstin.  To me checking luggage is not a big deal and I'd rather do it than risk not having the things I want to wear or running out of clean underwear.

You luggage can get lost or delayed when it is checked in.  Ask me how I know?  I've had to wait for an airline to get my clothing during a trip to Virginia once.  If your luggage is checked, don't assume it's on the same plane as you are.  Sometimes there is too much and they have to add it to other flights.  The airline will take responsibility for getting it to you in the event this happens.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life