Valued Contributor

I would much rather...

[ Edited ]

I don't know how others feel about this but I'm hoping I don't get mauled for my opinion.

A few days ago I was watching a gourmet holliday show.  I watch almost every one.  I very rarely buy any of the food and below is one of the reasons. However, I do like to watch for new products, prices etc.

I've noticed over time that the hosts are more and more pushy and rude as far as basically taking over the food and the presentations.  They contstantly touch / eat the food to the point where at times it's gluttonous and gross.  What bothers me the most is if a host talks more than he/she eats, more and more time is being spent talking about how many you should buy, the excellent prices, how fast this great offer will disappear and all of the other regular QVC lingo to convince you to purchase the product. 

The vendor barely gets to mention anything about the product.  I've heard the vendor(s) TRY to talk about the item but the host will cut them right off and start with their routine QVC schpiel. 

I would much rather hear about the product itself.  Tell me why I want to buy it, what's so great about it, why is it different, what are the details of the product etc.  For me, I would be more likely to buy if the VENDOR did the presentation as well as the talking.  I can gather the hosts information for myself.

One final note:  We know that everyone's taste buds are different and what one person may like, another may not.  The hosts selling tactic of the mmm's, ahhh's and eye rolls, turns me away from buying.  I'd be okay if you left the hosts "tasting" the products out 

completely. 

"I never changed, I just learned."
Trusted Contributor

Re: I would much rather...

[ Edited ]

Some of the "vendors" are actually models or actors who are on "the team" of a particular item.  That is across the board of items presented on QVC.  I think that hosts are prompted by the show producer in their earpiece to say much of what they say, and do much of what they do.  I read that when David does his "happy dance", sales go way up, so he is encouraged to do it often during a show.

Frequent Contributor

I didn't know about the timing for the infamous happy dance.  Thanks for that tidbit.

Btw, I think anyone should feel free to make a suggestion without being chided for it.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I would never buy any type of food from TV.  The prices are outrageous and I have plenty of stores near me to get what I need/want and if they don't have it, I don't need it.  

Respected Contributor

@LilMadi 

I agree.  I'm sure the host is not going to say the product is awful if they don't like the taste.  How would that sell the product.  Even if the vendor rep is someone that works for QVC, they should be able to present the product and talk about it instead of the host.  And of course the dumb dances and yum yum faces some of them make.  And when they warn us there are only 50 orders left to buy I just turn off the channel.  If I want the product I'm not going to wait until you tell me there are only a few left.  But, I'm guessing that is the gimic that sells the product out most of the time.

Respected Contributor

And another thing.  I don't think anyone should be mauled for their opinion.  After all, we are entitled to that.  Your opinion is just as valuable as anyone's.

Honored Contributor

@LilMadi- It seems to be common for the host to interrupt the vendor during presentations - no matter what the the vendor is selling.  There are so many threads about the host not letting the vendor speak and give pertinent information about the product. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I would much rather...

[ Edited ]

@mac116 wrote:

Some of the "vendors" are actually models or actors who are on "the team" of a particular item.  That is across the board of items presented on QVC.  I think that hosts are prompted by the show producer in their earpiece to say much of what they say, and do much of what they do.  I read that when David does his "happy dance", sales go way up, so he is encouraged to do it often during a show.

--------------------

I enjoy David's shows because he seems to enjoy his food and guests. But the 'yum yum' face and 'happy dance' would never encourage me to buy.  I see it as a sales shtick...just like Women with Control lady shaking her bottom or Dream Jeanne's Angel kicking her karate kick or Vionic's Liam marking up the models' legs.

And there are some vendors I would prefer that they greatly curtail their little sales pitch.  Some just go on and on and on.....

Honored Contributor

I never watch those eating fests.  Mom taught us it is rude to eat in front of others.  I don't know why David doesn't weigh a ton; he eats way too much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I am only interested in the product.  I don't like the 'show' that  goes with it.  It should never be about the host.  I was told once that THEY MONITOR THE SALES and are aware of what is being said and what the rate success or failure word by word or action by action.  So if David does a Happy Dance and the sales go up, David is encouraged to Happy Dance more.