Please have vendors who show bras, explain how to measure for the proper fit.  Studies have shown most women wear the wrong size, so please don't just show us the size chart, show us how to measure.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: How to measure for a bra

While i agree that something like 80% of women are supposedly wearing the wrong size bra, I am always amazed that 20% of women got it right ... probably through trial and error, not a measurment formula.

Years ago I had a heck of a time getting the right size.  A Nordstrom's fitter had absolutely no idea what she was doing and had a real attitude .... I should have reported her.  She put me in a bra that was so tight that I couldn't even take a full, deep breath.   I told her I couldn't breathe and she claimed that "No, you are just one of those women who can't be pleased!".   No kidding.

Later that weekend, out of frustration, I googled "bra size calculator".   It came up with three different calculators from different sources.  In each one I  typed in my bust and band sizes .....  and got three completely different "perfect" sizes!   

I now think getting the right size is part art, and part science.

Honored Contributor

That would make sense that they show how to measure but you know what?

I really think we are very lucky if we get it right by ordering online.

I could measure today and it would not be the size that I would order because for some reason that still would be too tight. Because even if I measure correctly I don't think the entire chest area is taken into account or something.

I guess like @Tinkrbl44  said it is part art and science and I'll add plain old being able to try it on-like jeans, bathing suits hats shoes-well sigh! we can't always do that now.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

That would make sense that they show how to measure but you know what?

I really think we are very lucky if we get it right by ordering online.

I could measure today and it would not be the size that I would order because for some reason that still would be too tight. Because even if I measure correctly I don't think the entire chest area is taken into account or something.

I guess like @Tinkrbl44  said it is part art and science and I'll add plain old being able to try it on-like jeans, bathing suits hats shoes-well sigh! we can't always do that now.

@on the bay 

I once recall hearing someone say that you measure your band area below the bust, and then add 5 inches to get the "correct" band size. 

All I thought was ...   "FIVE INCHES ... are you crazy?"

LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I join all of you in DREADING to have to go bra shopping and try to get the right fit!

Good Luck Good Luck Gif, Good Luck Quotes, Good Luck Wishes, Glitter Gif, Glitter Text, Black Glitter, Good Luck Pictures, Congratulations Quotes, Cute Text Messages

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

Wow, I've never heard that before but for me it makes sense because that is kind of right! No one believes that I tell them I am a certain chest size but I think I have large shoulder blades/back or something-years of swimming? and it only works if I get a yes probably 5" more! I like that smart person! Who was she?!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I think one reason so many bras are a poor fit, is that companies simply don't offer the sizes that are needed. There is an ample model for QVC who 95% of the time has on the wrong size bra she is displaying, because she is overflowing the cups.  The reason is the cupsize only goes to a DDD and this model needs a larger cup size. 

Honored Contributor

And I also think that fit varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.  A 40C in Bali's doesn't fit the same as a 40C in Playtex and even with brands there are different models that fit differently.   What a PITA!!!

Respected Contributor

If I bought my bras in the size that comes up using bra calculators, I wouldn't be able to breath after wearing them for an hour. In the past few years, I've found bras that work for me in the sizes that work for me. I've also discovered bra band extenders that allow me to loosen my back closure bra if it's getting tighter as the day goes on. I like front closure bras because the straps stay put, so I order them in one band size larger and one cup size smaller than my regular bras. For me, it comes down to trying bras on and seeing how they feel. Now that I know what brands and types of bras work, I have no problem ordering them online.

Super Contributor

Unfortunately, this is a lot of trial and error for us women. It used to be that I had to go to a physical store and try on. Of course, these past couple of years have put a damper on that. Fortunately, another website had a special "free shipping AND free returns". Couldn't resist. I read lots and lots of reviews, and I ordered what, in my opinion, was the best brands and sizes--based off reviews and size charts. If this will help, here is what I found:

Your band size normally correlates to your chest size. So, if your chest size is 44 inches around, you need a 44 size bra. If you want it looser, then go up to a 46 size bra. And so on... As far as the cup size, I've been a C size since I was a teenager. I think once you find your cup size, that may be true all your life, unless you get surgery or have significant weight gain or loss. 

I hope this helps. This is just my opinion, and what I have found for myself. I agree that each company probably has their own "size". I have found that I go to certain brands and certain material (prefer nylon or poly bras over cotton). Why can't companies come out with the same size chart for bras? I guess it's because every woman is different with her different issues in that area. Best wishes to all!!