Frequent Contributor

Maybe it's my age and ears, but lately some of the hosts' and brand reps' voices are like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I do find myself changing the channel quite a bit.

Honored Contributor

Re: Hosts' and Reps' voices

[ Edited ]

@Priss 

I was just thinking that the other day!

It seems so many have that gravel/grating voice esp at the end and I think why?

Maybe for emphasis or to sound assertive or in charge or something?

It's not like they couldn't have a nice voice if they didn't end in that growl. I think that started happening maybe a decade ago?

And the shouting and screaming and fake laughter every second-oi!

When you compare it to any other previous decades, all these are not there at all and voices can sound so nice.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I know I react to voices.  I used to say LR had the best voice on shopping TV.  I knew her voice was one of the main reasons I tuned in for most of her shows.  That voice sold me way too much!

Honored Contributor

@Priss.  I agree, I can't stand to sit and listen to a creeky, screechey voice and there are several vendors that are horrid.  I can't get to the remote fast enough.

Apparently voice quality is not taken into consideration when these reps were chosen.  They lose sales with these people.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Lisa Robertson, Carolyn Gracie, and Leah Williams all have great voices for TV---and 2 of those 3 are no longer at Q. There are other good Q voices, but those are the first 3 that come to my mind as pleasing to hear. 

Trusted Contributor

The TSV today, vendor drives me crazy before I can hit the mute button.  I really wanted to see the new items so stayed up last night and had to mute the show.  She screams and repeated David name constantly.  

Esteemed Contributor

Some is due to your TV's speakers.....to make thin & light TV's............ speakers are tiny and located on the BACK or UNDER the TV.  Get a sound board & sound will come to you from the front.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 I agree except for Carolyn Gracie she would add an er at the end of most words...for example Year, she would yearer..... nothing against her just one of my pet peeves...lol

Esteemed Contributor

It isn't just Q voices and HSN voices but I'm finding many female broadcast voices also grating.  It is the pitch and tone that gets to me.

I'm becoming a better speed reader due to often relying on closed captioning.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@happilyretiredgirl,

That's so funny. I never heard the er sound. I do think she has a great voice. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"