Respected Contributor

Re: Host bashing is bullying

[ Edited ]
  • @ shopperqvc different people respond differently to what others say.

No one is responsible for how someone else feels.

What worries you masters you.
Super Contributor

To take that description of cyber bullying literally would mean no one could ever say anything negative and only happy-happy positive opinions are allowed. That is censorship to the extreme!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The basic definition of bullying is calling names, making fun of, threatening, attacking verbally or physically, laughing at, denigration, and such.  I'd say there are a number of posts that fall under this category.

Some posters think someone who doesn't love, agree, and approve of their opinion is bashing them.  It's not.  People have different views and that's a good thing.  I'd hate to see a country full of stepford people.

Talking about job performance in a constructive manner is not bashing.  

Negative comments about a host's personal attributes/looks are not nice and can easily fall under bashing.  How would people like it if their customers made fun of their hairstyle or body shape or pronunciation?  They wouldn't. 

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Sure, people can write what they want but this is a private website and Q can delete it or ban anyone they want.  

We're all grownups and should be expected to know the difference between bashing and constructive criticism.   

People have lost the art of constructive criticism. It happens to all of us at times...or all the time for too many people these days.  

One thing I learned a looooong time ago is ... just because you can doesn't mean you should.  

Trusted Contributor

To me, bullying is something that is done directly to the person, either in person, or on their personal social media pages - that is not the case here. There may be host bashing, or another word, but if the person isn't here to be treated in a negative manner, they are not being bullied.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ   Right now in the news about Harry and Megan there is a ton of information from them where they stated Meghan and Archie are the subject to hateful comments about the way they look, etc.

This was partly responsible for them leaving the UK.

They felt bullied...how does that fit in with your definition?

Respected Contributor

The only problem I have with some hosts are the out of line price comments. I have been here 30 years and you need to act professional and stop fudging on the price! 

Take a cue from the long standing hosts who give the exact price. Something is not 29.00 when its actually 29.98. Come on we're not stupid! flex pay is not 5.00 when its 5.60 esp when you add on tax and shipping to get it home.

I will change the channel when that host is on and you are losing my business and I buy a lot...

Come on Amy, Shawn and Courtney -- stop it!

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie, I understand what you are asking. To me, and this is just how I distinguish it, if something nasty is being said TO the person, it is bullying; if it is said ABOUT them, it is not. It may be something else inappropriate, as social media has demonstrated, but I still think there is a sight difference.

Example - if someone wrote that X is a fat cow, that is not bullying. It is nasty and the name caller is juvenile and offensive, but if they wrote, "X, you are a fat cow." THAT is bullying, again to me.

Honored Contributor

@blueroses47  I thought your post was right on.

There are so many terms that are used so frequently, they've lost the punch they're supposed to mean.

I think the height of this is when it refers to interaction between male and female but also (I'm trying to think of a way to put this) anyway, you probably know what I'm trying to say.

We've gotten to the point where people are afraid to speak out because they don't want to get labele something...like....well..a bully.

I've said here all along there are two ways of saying something.  I won't go into repition but I'm sure you all understand.

So often just because someone disagrees they get a negative label.

This seems to all be leading where the loudest voices are heard.  Meanwhile, the voices who are sensitive to others are growing in size.

This country swings back and forth.  That's the advantage of a young country.  We are a very young country.

One advantage is that just as quickly as we swung one way we will swing back quickly the other way....then for a little while maybe we'll have a middle.

I've never seen any really negative talk about the hosts.  

For one thing the poster would get zapped so I don't know where the negative comments are.

Everyone has 'things' they need to work on.  As for me...I bloviate way, way (add another way) too much.

In other words I don't know when to sit down and shut up.  But I'm working on it.

I need to have a friend walking around with one of those hooks to pull me out of the discussion.

But I'll never stop speaking up if I see something wrong being done. 

By wrong I mean like parking in a wheelchair spot when there are lots of other spaces and they have no marker to be able to do it legally.

Respected Contributor

KCDIVA

This board is downright mild compared to the flat-out cruelties written about hosts and vendors on HSNs community board.  

Not even kidding.

I write back saying negativity in that manner is unnecessary from grown ups and speaks more unflatteringly from the author than the intended target, and people come at me like I'm their mortal enemy. 

This is one of the thousand reasons I love animals over humans.

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I don't thing we are in a position to "bully" any of the hosts or vendors.  We are expressing an opinion.  IMO, "bullying" would be more personal, face to face.  As I understand it, the hosts do not even read these forums.  Although these forums sometimes do go "off topic."

The Hosts do read the forums, as do their family members, neighbors and friends.  The Hosts are just not allowed to participate on the forums.

Expressing your opinion can be bullying.  if I write that EXAMPLEposter can't spell, uses poor grammar and doesn't know what she is talking about and therefore must be an idiot, IMO...that is bullying, it is also my opinion.

When someone has the opinion that a Host doesn't know how to do the job, uses incorrect grammar and pronounces words incorrectly, and is wearing an ugly dress that is also someones opinion and bullying.

We, as QVC viewers are not paid to critique the Hosts.  That is their employers job.  If something is seriously wrong, write a letter with your full signature and complain to corporate.  You don't need to point out what the Host is doing wrong in your opinion publicly.

How would you like someone to critique your job performance or your visual appearance publicly?

That goes with the territory. Public jobs open the hosts up to criticism. You can't have all of the accolades without the other side.