Trusted Contributor

It seems today the words "love you" are used easily and said without a lot of sincerity, not just by show hosts but by many people for many situations. "I just LOVE her" starts to lose it's meaning. . . 

But I agree about the credibility when it comes to products, one that really stands out to me was a Dyson vacuum that was the one they owned and bought for her mother and a few weeks later the host said the same thing about a Shark they were presenting. 

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Respected Contributor

@We rescue cats 

I get the point you are making.

Hosts..phony..some more phony than others.

Honored Contributor

Hosts are not our friends or even acquantances. They are salespeople...paid to sell stuff. It's how they earn money and that's their motivation. 

Hosts lack credibility with

• "Hey, will you order that for me?"
  • "I have X pair of these"
  • "It's the only make up I use"
  • Childish behavior
  • Baby talk
  • Using wrong words
  • Mispronouncing the brand, product, or vendor's name
  • Serious gaffes
  • Giggling, laughing too much
  • Talking about family, vacation, and other personal stuff. Q wants people to think hosts are more than salespeople so they buy more. Tthat's why hosts talk about personal things. I'm not interested in it.
  • inside jokes
  • obvious untruths

Respected Contributor

@CalminHeart 

Spot on...

• "I have X pair of these"

One loud obnoxious hostess, who still has her job, who shall remain nameless, said she owned FIFTEEN PAIRS of some 70.00 dollar cheap plastic flip floppish shoes the other night...braying like a ninny while bragging about that "fact"...in different colors...

Who believes that stuff?

Respected Contributor

Re: Host Credibility

[ Edited ]

Do you notice many hosts bring up their Mothers in their presentations. That is so we "seniors" relate. I don't doubt their Mothers are kind, but some really like to say what they bought for their Mothers, or what their Mothers would wear, etc. Guess it's a sales tactic to make them more likeable and to suggest it would be good for us too!

Honored Contributor

There's an expression I frequently use re various written and broadcast media.

"I don't believe a word they write / say, including the words "the" and "and."

Esteemed Contributor

Alberti does this all the time.  He's getting as annoying with it as JT is with her grown daughters.

Honored Contributor

Get rid of them. Let the vendor give the pertinent info quickly and end of presentation. Don't need a long dragged out story or a host.

Contributor

I heard this too and wondered why his dog is not housebroked.  Poor pet owner.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

I like your way of thinking!