Frequent Contributor

I live in NJ and every time I purchase something that is taxed in NJ,. QVC charges me 7% tax. I have not ordered from HSN in very long time, but today I ordered a waterproof eyebrow pencil and lo and behold, no tax! Why is QVC charging me taxwhen they do not have a presence in my state?

New Contributor

Re: HSN Did Not Charge me Tax!

Many years ago QVC was my chopping network but most part of the time I buy at HSN. They compare as good as QVC, free shipping, no taxes and 4 or 5 easy payment. It is time to change. 

New Contributor

Yes chop chop chop...

Honored Contributor

@Norriesgirls 

@diazol

This is QVC's stated policy.  Maybe review the website for answers to your questions:

Why am I charged sales tax on Internet orders?

QVC is registered with your state to collect sales or use tax, as appropriate, on taxable items shipped to your state. Most states require that we tax Shipping & Handling as well. The passage of the Internet Tax Freedom Act and similar state statutes has no effect on QVC's current obligation to collect such taxes. Please note that sales and use tax collected is remitted by QVC to your state taxation authority as required by law. These monies are not retained by QVC.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am certain there is a requirement in your state that you remit sales tax not charged to you by an out-of-state entity. There is in my state. I could theoretically be in legal trouble for not remitting the taxes due on HSN purchases. I think five people in the state voluntarily pay this tax each year.

On the other hand, my state needs sales tax revenue because we do not have a state income tax, so I am OK with paying the 6% QVC adds on to my purchases.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I seldom pay state sales tax on the items I order on line.  If the store does not have a presence in your state they usually do not charge you tax. 

Respected Contributor

Off hand I'd say the company that makes the item you bought has some kind of presence in your state.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

It may be that by broadcasting into your state, Q is considered to have a physical presence.  Certainly, Q's distributors - cable TV companies - have a physical presence.  The same would be true for HSN.  Since sales tax laws are often vague, Q may be taking a "better safe than sorry" approach.  From a business perspective, it's safer to collect sales tax than risk being audited and learn you should have been collecting it.  In the latter case, the state can assess back sales tax on the business and the business would have little chance of recouping it from their customers.  Well, it could try, though at great risk of antagonizing its customers.

And, as others have noted, if QVC or HSN don't charge you sales tax, you most likely owe anyway it to the state in the form of use tax.

Honored Contributor

This thread is nearly 4 years old.  When it was started, HSN didn't charge me sales tax either on on-line purchases but they did if I ordered via phone.

As of 2015, HSN started charging me sales tax on on-line purchases.  I'm in Ohio.

Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

This thread is nearly 4 years old.  When it was started, HSN didn't charge me sales tax either on on-line purchases but they did if I ordered via phone.

As of 2015, HSN started charging me sales tax on on-line purchases.  I'm in Ohio.

Dang it, caught again.  Smiley Happy

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*