Valued Contributor

Over time I've noticed a marked change in the size of women's feet in this country.  When I was a child, quite a few older women wore sizes 5-7.  Now I am amazed to see young women who are not that tall who wear sizes 8-11.  I'm sure statistics bear this out.  My question is, why don't manufacturers make shoes in size10 1/2, 11 1/2, etc.  They acknowledge that many women are between an 8 and a 9 so make 8 1/2.  I would like to see retailers begin to demand these sizes for their customers.  Maybe manufacturers would finally accommodate all women.

Esteemed Contributor

More narrow sizes are needed---and not just 2A, bit 3A and 4A, too.

Respected Contributor

My friends & I all wore size 7.5-8. My daughter's friends all wore size 8.5-9. My niece & her friends wear 9-9.5 & they aren't bigger girls, but their feet are.

Valued Contributor

Exactly, it amazes me.  I always wore 10 since high school and felt a little freakish although I am 5'10".  Now my little 5'2" granddaughter wears a 9. 

Respected Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

More narrow sizes are needed---and not just 2A, bit 3A and 4A, too.

Absolutely.  I wear an 8 3A but find one if you can.  If and when you do they are frumpy and expensive!  All the women in my family have narrow feet.  Now if you walk into a shoe store and ask for a narrow width they look at you like you are from Mars. 

Honored Contributor

I stick with Clark's only shoe I can order thru the mail and not worry about.

I'm 8 wide with their shoe come rain or come shine. I'll die with Clark's on. LOL

Super Contributor

My pet peeve is that it is so hard to find a shoe in WW.  They barely exist in shoe stores any more and, if they do, they are usually sneaker-type shoes.  For years now I have bought my shoes from a warehouse online and recently even their stock of WW shoes has become much less. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Forgotten sizes

[ Edited ]

@Kardi wrote:

Over time I've noticed a marked change in the size of women's feet in this country.  When I was a child, quite a few older women wore sizes 5-7.  Now I am amazed to see young women who are not that tall who wear sizes 8-11.  I'm sure statistics bear this out.  My question is, why don't manufacturers make shoes in size10 1/2, 11 1/2, etc.  They acknowledge that many women are between an 8 and a 9 so make 8 1/2.  I would like to see retailers begin to demand these sizes for their customers.  Maybe manufacturers would finally accommodate all women.

I totally agree with you.

I wear an 11, though sure would be nice to have the ability to have 10.5 or 11.5 for shoes that may run big or small.  Why do shoe manufacturers assume that if you have larger feet, somehow would not have a need half sizes like women with average and smaller than average feet??   I know so many people who wear the 10-12 range. We all lament how it is a struggle to find shoes.  

Honored Contributor

I've also noticed that women's feet have gotten larger.

When I was young, my size 7.5 was larger than practically ANYBODY.  Most people I knew wore sizes between 5 and 6.5.

I had a friend who wore a large size, but she was 6'4" tall so the size of her feet was relative to the rest of her.

I still wear a 7.5 (7.5C actually - just slightly wider than an average 'B') and know people in my age group with similar sizes but the younger women almost all have much larger feet.

I wonder why.  Interesting that this subject has come up, as I think about it frequently.

Trusted Contributor

@Kardi wrote:

Online shoes has sizes 10 1/2 and 11 1/2 for a lot of their shoes.  You can't find those for every brand but I just looked and very quickly found some Aerosole, Ecco, and Rockport in those sizes.  You can even pick those sizes in the filters so you don't have to go through everything they have.