Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie    I respect and appreciate what you're saying but are you singlimg go out QVC for selling 'faux' junk because most retailers sell the same materials.   Yes all this disposable stuff is not good for our planet and we are suffering the consequences for it but with. 8 billion people on the planet nothing is going to change.  It will only get worse 

Respected Contributor

Re: Faux everything!

[ Edited ]

@ellietoo wrote:
Why are most things that QVC sells “faux??” This used to be the place to go for suede or leather jackets and shoes. QVC had cotton flannel sheets, quilts galore and wool winter wear. Now most everything is fake! If not for the Irish wool sweaters there would be only fake wool. Fabrics are mostly polyester or some synthetic fabric, even the shoes and boots are fake leather if not totally at least in part!! There is no shortage of leather, cotton, or wool so why is everything fake? The prices sure are not lower. This has to be a decision by the stock holders or those that they have hired. Really sad to see what has happened to this place.

Good question! I'm sick of all the synthetic cr&p. In partcular, my old Northern Nights flannels could use replacing. They've held up well for years, are still soft and withstood many washings, but if they still existed here I'd have replaced them by now with something fresh and new. I'm bummed I can't find any of the good NN stuff anymore like days of old. I don't want "tee-shirt" sheets, or fleece or any of the other crummy stuff...I want nice, cotton, breathable, cozy, well made flannel sheets!!

And all the other things you mention too...price point I guess. QVC wants to sell boatloads of dumbdowned junk and I guess they can...more than they think they'd sell of higher priced, real stuff. 

I don't settle for the junk...I just buy less, buy quality within my budget, and if I can't find it here, I'll go look elsewhere. I'm always mentioning my neighbor with great taste who is a faithful HomeGoods shopper...she finds lovely, natural fiber bedding there all the time. That's where I'll be looking for new cotton flannel sheets...and anywhere else that sells them too.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie. I agree. On Utube it was discussed exactly that  countries dumping clothing in Africa, namely Ghana  mentioned from not only  from the US but Europe. Clothing not wearable, stained and useless rags. 

Just last week I saw I believe on PBS how tencel,rayon are destroying rainforests in Indonesia. The maps were an eye opener how in 20 years depleted. We think of rayon a cheap fabric  and added to blend but at what cost to the environment? I was shocked. 

I had two drawers of 100% cotton turtlenecks in my spare bedroom  that I washed up to wear. From the 1990s. I haven't worn turtlenecks in awhile.. Some were Penny's brands, Jones NY from Sam's, Faded Glory(Walmart), LL Bean when cotton was the norm. A few that are unwearable I  will give to my neighbor to use working on old cars as absorbent and at least used.

@Carmie YES.... Serious Stuff...

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat   Currently Costco is selling Pendelton blankets and sheets are stunningly low prices.  The sheets are twin size (I bought for the RV) and 100% luxury heavy cotton.  Don't know if you could use, but thought I would mention as you are a fan and hard to find such wonderful sheets at this price.  They are selling quickly.

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

@Carmie    I respect and appreciate what you're saying but are you singlimg go out QVC for selling 'faux' junk because most retailers sell the same materials.   Yes all this disposable stuff is not good for our planet and we are suffering the consequences for it but with. 8 billion people on the planet nothing is going to change.  It will only get worse 

I am not singling out QVC, but a question was asked and I answered.

The fault lies with consumers. As long as there is a market for poly and other synthetic fabrics, the maunufactures will make it and retailers will sell it.

Things can change if we stop buying it.  i try my best not to purchase this junk.  Pretty soon, we, as human race will be forced to stop making this stuff.  We are putting it in landfills, in our waterways..what's next?  We will probably dump it on another planet.

In the meantime, we are ruining our food sources and our water.  I am not a person who gets in a soapbox for conservation, but it is past time to get serious on this issue.

We are killing our planet and all life that is here.

Respected Contributor

@Teddixat wrote:

And here is the elephant in the room concerning climate change ... POPULATION

CONTROL  ... but you better not bring that up or you will be labeled a you know

what ....

Honored Contributor

Re: Faux everything!

[ Edited ]

@Zernia Rose wrote:

@Carmie I agree with your observations.  Some many clothes are made from viscose, rayon, synthetic fleece, and inexpensive cashmere that have led to deforestation in Indonesia, the Amazon, and Canada, along with and negative impacts in Mongolian.  More sustainable fabrics that are traceable will not be appealing to many QVC customers.  How many are willing to pay 4K-8K for a shearling coat; 1500-6,000 for cashmere coats; 500-2000 for cashmere sweaters; 300-500 for cotton blouses? My guess would be not many.  Fast fashion has contributed to the problems as well.

I admit to have jackets from Lands end that are made from recycled plastic bottles, but the rest of my clothing is natural materials.  Athe majority of my home goods are too.

I do not spend hundreds on my clothing items. If anyone is interested, they too and find natural fabrics for shoes and clothing and home goods.

i posted on here about $8 100% cotton tee shirts that are wonderful from Christopher and Banks.  Lands End also has 100% cotton items that when are on sale are less expensive than poly.  

If you look, you will find it at affordable prices for good quality stuff.  

Esteemed Contributor

Yes! You're absolutely right! I notice this myself. Just a few years ago, Dennis Basso as well as other designers had real, and I mean real suede coats. There were coats with real shearling linings, real velvet, real velour, and real cotton. now everything is overpriced, and faux. We all know about the shortages, the inflation, yada, yada, yada. But the prices remain very high, for synthetic fabrics. No thank you. If I want that I will go to Walmart, Costco, or Kohls. 

Respected Contributor

@Effie54 wrote:

Yes! You're absolutely right! I notice this myself. Just a few years ago, Dennis Basso as well as other designers had real, and I mean real suede coats. There were coats with real shearling linings, real velvet, real velour, and real cotton. now everything is overpriced, and faux. We all know about the shortages, the inflation, yada, yada, yada. But the prices remain very high, for synthetic fabrics. No thank you. If I want that I will go to Walmart, Costco, or Kohls. 

Exactly. Agreed. And the poor hosts are trained and trying SO hard to spin, and spin and spin...plastic into gold. Yea. No.

Honored Contributor

@Teddixat   I prefer a cotton/poly mix.  Cotton sheet are always a wrinkled mess.  I've actually given them away. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment