Valued Contributor

WHY PUT OUT SO MUCH FOOD  TRAY AFTER TRAY  BOWLS OF POPCORN ETC  THEN IT ALL GETS THROWN AWAY   WASTE

Honored Contributor

@elizabethl123 How do you KNOW it gets thrown away? I've read on here that the food is given to the crew. I doubt it gets thrown away.

Anyone know?

Trusted Contributor

Food handling and Covid-19 virus?

"Staying safe by staying home"

~Put food in front of me, and I will eat it.~

Honored Contributor

Its their food, they can do with it what they wish.  It's a small investment considering the sales it can generate.  Unless it's completely unfit to eat, I imagine the crew makes good use of it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I would wager that although they cannot eat the food on air currently because of abbreviated restrictions, not all of it goes to waste🤞. It is disheartening if it does, but somewhat understandable.😕

I think a hungry cast and crew equals personal choice of taking or eating food off camera, as long as it is safe to do so. I would not be leery of food that has been well cooked.😊

Some of the food is styled, and is not edible, and  there has always been policies regarding how long food can sit out at room temperature before it is unsafe to consume.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@elizabethl123 

Is it really "waste" or would you want to eat the leftovers that have been handled by many, many people during the preparation and presentation?

I guess it depends on what your priorities are, during the Covid environment that we are all unfortunately living in.

I'll take the "waste" approach myself.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624  I was thinking the same thing, and our posts are within a minute of each other. GMTA.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Respected Contributor

True that I would not want to eat the food that sat out under the hot lights on the Q set that long. But why display SO much of it? For example I watched some of the Gourmet show yesterday with Rachel & they had trays & trays of potstickers. I remember thinking a lot going to waste there. But who knows, maybe some of it got eaten.

Honored Contributor

David mentioned in one of his "coffee talk" chats when this question came up.

He stated "hosts no longer eat food on set but are sent samples for them to treat home.

The food on sets is "styled" food for presentation only.  Most things they put back in fridge an use many times until it's too distorted or doesn't look good.

Q has a whole ITKWD staff preparing the presentations. 

Honored Contributor

It's the cost of doing business.  It's no different than selling something at a reduced "as is" price because it was used on air or a grocery store throwing out expired food.  It'd be nice if it was donated to a shelter but many aren't accepting pre-cooked meals right now due to covid.