Honored Contributor

Re: Excessive host bashing from the forums

@stevieb wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@skuggles wrote:

There is a lot of the liberal use of the term constructive criticism to defend and give license to the "airing of personal grievances" against different hosts they don't even know. A lot of posters know the difference because they have a certain level of integrity and dignity in their personal lives that carries over here. There are so many others who are not there in that place. Those with the more developed sense of propriety, I'll just call it that,can see that, but unfortunately the trashers can't. You can't fix that by moderation that has no clearly written standard filed away on that page that they supposedly follow, and we know we can't fix people who post here.

@skuggles

And so is the term "bullying".....My God it's a SHOPPING CHANNEL....I think a few folks need to develop another hobby rather than HOST CRUSADER!!!  If a host is annoying and we arent watching/buying that's the bottome line!

I agree @Spurt... Whether the hosts are behaving as directed by management or not, their behaviors are a huge reason I stopped watching (of course, the stale merchandise is the other...) and I have no problem saying so... If 'constructive criticism' is an over-used phrase, for heaven's sake SO is "bullying"... It's gotten ridiculous... And for the record, other than extreme cases that are outright nasty and mean spirited, I don't have a problem with criticism, constructive or not... Some of these hosts are just atrocious... "Bullying" has been a societal hot button topic in recent years, and so, of course, some folks have taken up the cause, whether there's a cause to be taken up or not... The problem with that is over-use of the term dilutes the real and serious incidents that cause real harm...

@stevieb

Yep....totally agree....they are trivializing true bullying which has even lead to suicides....they are making a mockery of a serious issue..........

What I find amusing about these "crusaders" is that some of their comments against other posters is even meaner and nastier than any cricitism that was said about a host...LOL!!! 

Sorry to disappoint them but as you said a host (and repetitive merchandise) can determine whether I tune in or change the channel (and I dont even need any reminders or their help on how to do that either)........

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Exactly @Spurt, overuse of any term, good or bad, diminishes the impact... And yes, very true, some of those crying loudest about 'bullying' seem to lose sight of some of their own responses to other posters... But then, maybe they're 'special'... This leads to the appearance that the hosts must be 'protected' at all costs, but it's all right for us to disparage each other... Go figure...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

You know the other glaring disconnect @Spurt... Go over to the TV and Movie forum and see if you don't find comments, pro and con, about TV shows, movies, actors, actresses, news persons and other media types... Well, here's the deal... QVC is a television presence and hosts and vendors are well paid media types... So how is it that it's fair game to address what some see as the strenghts and weaknesses of everyone EXCEPT those appearing on QVC... Makes no sense... 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@KathyPet wrote:

It has been stated multiple times that the QVC hosts and QVC management DO NOT READ THESE FORUMS.  So please do not say that the critical comments posted here are meant as constructive criticism because posters know no one but other posters are reading them.  They are posted just so the poster can rant about what they do not like about a host.  Constructive criticism takes the form of a well written letter to the Office of the CEO nor rantings on a bulletin board.

I don't believe they don't read the forums.  They may tell you they don't, but they do.

Not to mention, who has stated that information multiple times?  Fellow posters?  Because it was stated doesn't make it a fact.

I do believe the hosts read these threads.  Supposedly they are not allowed to post here but there is nothing that says they cannot read here.  I absolutely think TBTB read these forums.  Posters in the past have said they were contacted by a higher up at QVC about something posted on this board. 

I will never forget the time Jacque called a poster out by name on air for stuff posted on this board.  That was priceless.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Mothertrucker wrote:

I, for one, consider it to be bullying when posters post overly critical and downright mean things about hosts, knowing they are not allowed to come on and defend themselves..in fact, I would  venture a guess that the inability for the victim to defend themselves is the definition of “bullying”...

And it is seen frequently here....

Two thoughts:

How can you bully someone who most likely isn’t even seeing the comments, or most of them? It’s like if a tree falls in the forest and no one’s around to hear, does it make a noise?  I don’t think you can bully someone who is unaware of it.

Define “inability to defend” in the larger sense. I understand your meaning that a QVC employee can’t blast back at customers, but as far as the forums in general, adults can defend themselves (or ignore it, or report it). 

The bullying issue/criteria aside, comments on hair, makeup, voice, weight, clothing, home life, morals, etc are just so junior high/middle school. 

@Moonchilde

I agree with you comments with one exception....the hair sticking in one of the eyes drives me crazy...I want to reach through the TV screen and brush the hair away...its distracting, its annoying...and it certainly makes me grab my remote.........otherwise I dont care how they wear their hair....although I did have to giggle at Josie Maran who had blue hair and blue dress and I was waiting her to sing the song from the movie, :"Frozen"....LOL!

LOL @Spurt

I have a “thing” about hair in the eyes/uncut bangs in general, it makes me nuts. But that’s not restricted to QVC hosts/vendors.

Josie...don’t tempt me to comment 👹

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

If QVC and the hosts read the forums, why do so many behave and react as if the simple act of posting their opinion will of course mean that QVC will act on and do whatever they desire?

Just because (the generic) you complain about something or suggest something doesn’t mean QVC will ever give it any consideration. Every post is not full of pearls of wisdom, no matter how much the poster believes it is. And every “suggestion” is not acted upon. MOST suggestions are not acted upon.

So, whether QVC or the hosts read the forum is less important than do they care what they read/what you said, or do they just laugh and shrug it off.

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

You know the other glaring disconnect @Spurt... Go over to the TV and Movie forum and see if you don't find comments, pro and con, about TV shows, movies, actors, actresses, news persons and other media types... Well, here's the deal... QVC is a television presence and hosts and vendors are well paid media types... So how is it that it's fair game to address what some see as the strenghts and weaknesses of everyone EXCEPT those appearing on QVC... Makes no sense... 

@stevieb

So true, so true...especially the news anchors ....even a local one here got ripped on the Station's Facebook Page for wearing a cold shoulder outfit that also revealed more than just the shoulders....the hoopla was even mentioned in the TV Gossip's Column of the newspaper......And of course anything a TV or movie personality wears is scrutinized and discussed.........I dont understand why QVC hosts are supposed to be the exception.....must be because some consider them their BFF...............Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt Yep, I too was sort of wondering if the disconnect has to do with the whole 'the hosts are your friends' factor... I guess it's good I never bought into it...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

In my opinion, the anonymous-nickname posts on the Community can't specifically be likened to mystery shoppers or reliable, useful, applicable feedback from known entities.   I say this because anyone can create a nickname (or nicknames) and post here, so to be sure the posts were made by actual shoppers or people without sketchy agendas there would have to be software cross-referencing to see if our account in the shopping site was a valid one with genuine address, phone number, or other verifiable and unique data.  

On forums with anonymous contributors, FlyMeToTheMoon's and GoofyPoster's accounts [I made those up] could be created by competitors of QVC or by shills for QVC products, or they could be friends or enemies of the people and merchandise they lambaste or exalt.   They might simply be the random internet trolls who get adrenalin rushes and ego boosts from joining forums to bash people, products and companies or even to offer glowing reviews of products and services they never even possessed or used (yes, that does happen).   Also, one person could create multiples of email addresses, multiples of Q nicknames, and use them all to give the false impression many people agreed with a given point of view.   All of these things generate a relatively useless imbroglio of criticism and praise.

Mystery shoppers and surveys taken by verified, unique individuals have some semblance of accountability which our anonymous randomly-generated nicks don't have.   I'll never believe the repetitive threads and posts -- positive or negative -- carry much weight, but I'm not trying to tell anyone what or how they should post here.   I know I only can control myself...  can't really change other people to any substantial extent.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Your post pretty much says it all for me, @dooBdoo

Truth.