Trusted Contributor

Why is  'Oh DAY perfume' uttered over and over again with no one correcting the Beauty IQ host?  Or 'oh DAY Bootay"

rather than eau de beaute? The current trend is to mispronounce many words; co'n rather than cotton, bu'n rather than button but mispronounciation of words in foreign languages often alters their meaning all together.  It isn't cute, it isn't proper and every "oh day perfume" or " LA Creseut" for that matter, lessens the host's credibility. Won't someone please intervene?

Honored Contributor

Who do you think is going to rush onto the set and intervene?  Language police?  A college professor?  Someone from the state department?  Calm down, it's going to be okay.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I agree with the OP. Displaying ignorance. . .Is there no one in the QVC world who's taken a bit of high school French?

Respected Contributor

People need to relax.  Maybe the hosts are just having fun.  The selling of an item and the way the hosts pronounce words really have no bearing on each other.  No one is being formal here.  No need to be.

Valued Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Or 'oh DAY Bootay"  rather than eau de beaute? 

Trust me I understand, but this made me laugh quite a lot. Sounded like a scent from MTV.

Honored Contributor

Posts about pronunciation crack me up.   Doesn't anyone realize that words are pronounced differently in various parts of the country?    I agree with the other posters who said to relax.  Life is what it is and you/we can't control everything.

Honored Contributor

@CoG wrote:

Why is  'Oh DAY perfume' uttered over and over again with no one correcting the Beauty IQ host?  Or 'oh DAY Bootay"

rather than eau de beaute? The current trend is to mispronounce many words; co'n rather than cotton, bu'n rather than button but mispronounciation of words in foreign languages often alters their meaning all together.  It isn't cute, it isn't proper and every "oh day perfume" or " LA Creseut" for that matter, lessens the host's credibility. Won't someone please intervene?

Somehow, I have never expected a Home Shopping channel to be a place I would come to hear proper English or French, for that matter.

I no longer watch QVC because the monotonous presentations bore me to tears, let alone the show hosts improper use of the English language.

Honored Contributor

While I agree, how can anyone expect a higher grade of language on TV when butchering language is  e v e r y w h e re!!   Starting in the school yards...   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

When hosts are on air selling a product, their job is to know about that product, including the name of the item.  Mispronouncing the brand name like Le Creuset is inexcusable to me and the host should be corrected in his/her ear by the producer.  

I remember back when Sheila Johnson was a host, throughout an entire hour, she mispronounced Etienne Aigner.  She couldn't get it out at all then said it differently everytime she said it.  It was ridiculous that she was selling a brand and couldn't say it.  It made her look ill prepared for her shows.

Mispronunciation of words like decollete, eau de parfum, eau de toilette, etc.  doesn't bother me.  I have heard several different pronunciations of that, even from fragrance vendors themselves.     

Super Contributor

How about when certain hosts AND vendors shorten words?  Like 'It's gorg" for gorgeous?  Among others.  I cringe at attempts to sound "hip" or "with it" as teenagers often do.