Honored Contributor

I was just on YouTube watching some old "meet the host" videos, and they contained clips of some of the on air antics that used to be a regular part of QVC viewing.

Some was a little corny, some was scripted, some not, but it was about having fun and entertaining more back in the day. Today it is all about the hard sell. 

I had forgotten about the great warm and homey sets they used to have (today's are rather modern and cold a lot of the time) as well.

I just wish there was more time dedicated to hosts interacting with each other, more of the fun that the old days used to feature, whether scripted or spontaneous. In life, everything old is new again, and I for one, am ready for some of the older ways the hosts entertained us back in the days gone by.

QVC Customer Care

@Mominohio

Great idea. I will be glad to forward that suggestion to the proper department. I would love to see that as well.  During the studio tour there is a really nice blooper video. Thank you. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Bring back the fun

[ Edited ]

I've been saying for a LONG time that shopping is supposed to be fun, but that somewhere along the way QVC has lost the fun factor... I agree with your comments... If they toned it down a bit they might find that they don't have to try so hard and might actually net better results. A "kinder gentler" approach teamed with returning to a model that offers more product variety and a better array of programming could potentially make a big difference. Some of us that no longer are, might actually try watching again.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

"I for one, am ready for some of the older ways the hosts entertained us back in the days gone by."

Like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esXvk9AV0MI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbd2DucRe1M

173836.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I've been saying for a LONG time that shopping is supposed to be fun, but that somewhere along the way QVC has lost the fun factor... I agree with your comments... If they toned it down a bit they might find that they don't have to try so hard and might actually net better results. A "kinder gentler" approach teamed with returning to a model that offers more product variety and a better array of programming could potentially make a big difference. Some of us that no longer are, might actually watch again.

@stevieb

You make a lot of great points. 

I spent a lot of years in retail, and I know it is all about the bottom line and sales growth year to year. But even when the hosts are handing off to each other at the end of their shifts, they barely communicate with each other. They used to exchange some comments, make some jokes and 'hand us off' to the next one. Now it is like these are just shows in a time slot. I know the sets are often far away from each other, but with the technology, they can still have and exchange as they sign one host off and another takes over.

In the Kitchen with David is one of the only shows left that still has fun in it (full disclosure, I don't watch fashion beauty etc. so I can't say if they are fun or not). 

Absolutely more variety would be a big improvement as well.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bring back the fun

[ Edited ]

I understand what you mean @Mominohio... It's all become sort of sterile, as they try to emulate a network TV format... I think the more 'warm and familiar' vibe the hosts used to portray did a lot to hook people in. Related, I get it that older hosts don't want to work the hours they once did and I get that perhaps QVC is trying to cast a wider demographic net, but they need to find a sweet-spot and they just haven't seemed able to do that in quite a while.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio Completely agree! QVC used to be fun & relaxing to watch! Does anyone remember that wheel they used to spin, as a game?

Respected Contributor

I know what you mean. That's why I am really enjoying the new host, Elise Ivy. I catch her in the very early mornings and she if great, good sense of humor, not childish and seems to work well with almost all vendor I have seen her with. Her shows are fun. The more seasoned hosts have just seem to fallen into a rut.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

I was just on YouTube watching some old "meet the host" videos, and they contained clips of some of the on air antics that used to be a regular part of QVC viewing.

Some was a little corny, some was scripted, some not, but it was about having fun and entertaining more back in the day. Today it is all about the hard sell. 

I had forgotten about the great warm and homey sets they used to have (today's are rather modern and cold a lot of the time) as well.

I just wish there was more time dedicated to hosts interacting with each other, more of the fun that the old days used to feature, whether scripted or spontaneous. In life, everything old is new again, and I for one, am ready for some of the older ways the hosts entertained us back in the days gone by.

But if you notice, especially on Mike Rowe's videos, it was natural humor, not the screaming, in your face, cackling, jumping up and down so-called humor.  I liked  the hosts who were calm in their demeanor and didn't act like they were still in middle school. 

Some of today's hosts act like they need to be spouting off every second they are on camera......not so.  Don't yell at us and tell us it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  Let us see the product for ourselves and make up our own minds.  We are intelligent people!

I agree about the warm, homey sets of days gone by.  Yes, the sets of today are cold and stark.

Trusted Contributor

I do miss the old fun hosts on QVC . No hard sell like today. Always dressed nice and no wild fingernail polish,no jumping around and soft spoken.