Respected Contributor

Re: The Masters! You Gotta Love It!

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

We have a poster on the board, can't remember who, who says she goes every year.

@Kachina624 .... hey sweetie, I just saw this thread.  That would be ME.  I was born and raised in Augusta, GA, and now live about 15 minutes away on the other side of the Savannah River in South Carolina.

My dear departed first husband and I got membership tickets back in the middle 70s....we knew the assistant head pro at the Augusta National back then and when my first DH passed, the pro put them in my name.  Back then, anyone could get in on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesday, (practice rounds), but you had to have membership for the rest of days.

I think it was back in the middle 1990s where there were so many people showing up for Monday through Wednesday, that that is when they started having people apply for all days during the tournament.  The amount of people wanting to come really grew then and that is why they changed the rules

My dear DH and I knew Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicholas, Lee Trevino and Fuzzy Zoeller.  Arnold Palmer was so handsome, so nice and a true gentleman.  He never partied.  The other three.....well, all I am going to say is they were something else, lol.  Fuzzy Zoeller was always hysterical and I will never forget some of the fun times with them.  I even have pictures of them with us during many years of the tournament which I will pass down to my family.

I didn't go this year, but watched it on tv.  I gave my tickets (4) to my family and friends to use all week.

PS.....As I have said before and will say again, you are one of my favorite posters.  Hope you are doing well.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

That has to be the most beautiful golf course in the world, however, the azaleas appear to be past their prime with many blossoms being on the ground.  Climate change?

I think they need a "spotter" to identify the birds you hear.  I keep wondering what kind they are.

I, who know little about golf, have been glued to this game for almost 5 hours.  Looks like the best guy is going to win.  It has been very exciting.

@Kachina624 ....concerning our azaleas..... we did have freezing temps about a week before the tournament, so some were probably affected from that.  But, I have several azalea bushes in my front yard and they were not affected at all and still looked beautiful.  

I do wish, from the bottom of my heart, that ALL of you do get a chance to come to Augusta and get a ticket to attend the Masters Tournament.  It truly is the most beautiful golf course in the world and we would treat you as though you are part of our family.  In fact, if I knew any of you were coming, I would fix you a home cooked, southern, smack-your-lips, good ole meal.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

We have a poster on the board, can't remember who, who says she goes every year.

WOW! That poster needs to be connected to get in to the Masters! My brothers have been to practice rounds, but never to the finals. I went to the Open one year at Pinehurst when Tiger was in his hayday. It was OK, but I'm 5'2", and it was a struggle to see anything. I finally set myself down in the grandstands at 18, and that was enjoyable. I would rather watch it on TV.

@PA Mom-mom ...yes, I am blessed to have membership tickets....got them back in the middle 70s, but now things have changed.  Once I pass, my tickets can not be handed down.  So, my family and friends can enjoy them all week for now.

Respected Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

The Masters is the only major sporting event I would like to go to even for just the practice rounds.  The course is spectacular.  I wonder if they give tours of it during the year.

@kaydee50 ....sadly, no tours.  This is a strict golf course.  You either have to be invited (know someone on the board) or have a particular purpose in being there to get in.  

Did y'all know that host Courtney K. worked there one year when she was going to college?  She lived in upper part of South Carolina and stayed here a week during the Masters to work.  Hard to get a job there during this week also.

Honored Contributor

@kittykatkay    Thanks for popping up and responding.  I should have remembered it was you.  Thanks for the background on your ticket possession....interesting.  And thanks for the nice compliment.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kittykatkay    Thanks for popping up and responding.  I should have remembered it was you.  Thanks for the background on your ticket possession....interesting.  And thanks for the nice compliment.

@Kachina624 .....you are welcome.  Glad I saw this thread.  Thanks to @PA Mom-mom for starting it.  

I don't post as often as I have in the past, but I do try and read some to stay updated on categories as much as possible.  I do know I love to read alot of your responses because they are not only helpful to others in your replies, but also because you do make some funny statements that give me a big ole chuckle (lol).  I love to laugh, so....Thanks for that.  

I hope you and others here get a chance in the future to go to the Masters.  You will love it and the city of Augusta as well.  Have a blessed week ahead.