Honored Contributor

Re: NFL Wildcard Weekend 2020!!!

It's game day number two! Yesterday saw the Texans eke out a win over the Bills. Josh Allen of the Bills did not look like a calm, cool, and collected QB near the end of that game. He looked panicked. Worse, he played that way also. When he was on the sidelines he seemed to go straight to the end of the bench and just sit there looking scared. Not a good look. You want a QB who's a take charge, let's go get em, kind of guy. You want him going up to his offensive guys and rallying them. Assuring them that he's got this. They'll get the win. We didn't see that from Josh Allen. That's an area where he has to improve.

In the second game the Patriots fell to the Titans. Not surprising really as the Patriots haven't looked right for a while now. Brady looked better yesterday, but he's just got too few weapons. So, both of last year's Super Bowl teams are out of the hunt now. The Rams never made the playoffs and the Patriots are out in the wildcard round. That opens things up for everyone else.

Today we see the Vikings go into the Super Dome to try and find a way to beat the Saints. They've got the capability, but they'll need Kirk Cousins to be at his very best to get the win. (Unless the officials go out of their way to help like they tried to do yesterday with the touchdown they later reversed when the guy fielding the kickoff didn't officially kneel.) The Vikings have the firepower in Diggs, Thielen, Dalvin Cook, and Rudolph, but they need Cousins to be at his best to get the ball to those guys. Sadly, Cousins has been cold heading into the playoffs. Unless he heats up in a hurry, the Saints should win.

Game two today features the beat-up Eagles facing the Seahawks. Some good news for the Eagles. The Zach Ertz broken rib and kidney laceration seems healed enough for him to play. Reports now indicate it was a very small cut on the kidney that's already healed and he's wearing a flak jacket that resembles a parka in practice to protect the broken rib area. How much that affects his ability to catch the ball remains to be seen, but he wants to play and it looks like he will.

The big issue for the Eagles could be the right side of the offensive line. Two backups will be starting there. Vaitai will be starting at tackle and Matt Pryor will be starting at right guard. Vaitai's got lots of experience and should be okay, but this will be Pryor's first start. He's a big kid (6'7" 332 lbs) and a beast as a run blocker. He's not as nimble as a pass blocker however. Expect to see the Seahawks throw a lot of tackle/end stunts at that side of the line to see how those two handle things. If they hold up (a big if) the Eagles have a good shot at winning the game.

The Eagles added a few new pieces to the line-up in running back Elijah Holyfield and wide receiver Shelton Gibson. (Gibson's a former Eagle, but he spent the past year in Cleveland.) Gibson gives the Eagles some legitimate deep speed. There is the slight problem of him almost never actually catching the football. Maybe that's gotten better in his year away from the team in Cleveland. He's got decent size and excellent speed, but he also drops more passes than he catches which is why the Eagles moved on from him.

Back to yesterday's games for a minute. With Tom Brady's season now over the speculation turns to what will he do? He's a free agent and can't be tagged due to language he insisted be inserted into his last contract. Does another team try to lure him away in free agency? I've seen some speculate the Cowboys could make a move, but I doubt that. They seem committed to Dak. The Chargers, on the other hand, might be tempted. Brady will want to be someplace where he feels like he has a real shot to win and a solid supporting cast. The Vikings could be another option. Their offensive talent in Minnesota is very good. Maybe the Raiders? The Browns with OBJ and Landry could be attractive to Brady. The Colts? Maybe. What would it take to land Brady? $40 million a year? $50 million a year? Would he follow Josh McDaniels if McDaniels gets a head coaching job someplace? It's going to be interesting watching what happens there.

This could be a really crazy offseason as teams scramble for coaches and players. If Brady makes himself available a whole lot of teams will show interest in him. The list of teams that wouldn't be interested is probably smaller than the list of teams that would be interested. In the AFC the Ravens, Texans, and Chiefs wouldn't be interested in Brady. Probably not the Steelers either if Ben gets healthy. The rest of the AFC might be intrigued though. In the NFC the Eagles, Saints (assuming they resign Brees), Packers, Seahawks, and Rams would be out of the hunt, but the rest might be tempted. Brady will be getting lots of phone calls once free agency kicks off and could interest a whole lot of teams.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

This was Josh Allen's first playoff game, so it's not surprising that he felt rushed near the end. He tried to force the ball and made too many mistakes. Allen played well in the first half, and probably will look back on things he could have done differently. I've always liked him, and he seems to have solid future in Buffalo. 

Houston can't have a slow start in Kansas City like they did yesterday. They need to get Hopkins going early, and Watson has to deliver like he did in the second half. Maybe Fuller will be ready to play by next week. 

Happy birthday, Derrick Henry! That was a nice way to celebrate. I bet that Harbaugh and the OC are already planning on how they're going to cover Henry. Tannehill didn't have a great game. He'll have to be at his best when they face Baltimore. 

There is talk on the Colts forums about Brady going to Indy. The chance of that happening is 0. I can't see him with any team except New England. 

BTW, wasn't the AFC South suppose to be a weak divison??? Woman LOL

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Brett Favre went to the Jets. Joe Montana went to the Chiefs. We've seen a few of those franchise QB's move late in their career. I wouldn't be shocked to see Brady go elsewhere. It would have to be the right situation though. He could also retire.

Can the Patriots get the weapons Brady needs? They have a first round pick, but no second having traded that for Sanu. They may have three third round picks (two compensatory) but they have lots of needs. The o-line could use some help. A game changing tight end is vital. A few wide receivers and a game breaking runner would be good. They've got decent cap space (around $50 million.) Can they get the pieces they need to lure Brady back?

Are the Patriots looking at a Teddy Bridgewater? Mariota? Carr? Will they resign AB again and hope he stays out of trouble? There are lots of variables in play this year. Maybe they try to trade for Brissett? Anything could happen. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Two really great games yesterday. So happy for the winners, they earned it. 

Today will also be interesting, I sure hope NO wins as I believe they are the better team.

Honored Contributor

i personally dont see brady retiring now, especially after the team lost yesterday. i dont think they looked like their usual selves and neither did brady. i am guessing he is going to want just ONE MORE RING before he settles on retiring. i also do NOT see him moving to any other team.....and no amount of money could even tempt him.

that is just my "expert" opinion by a non expert. LOL

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Interesting. The Redskins are saying they won't hire a GM until after the draft. We've got Redskins with expiring contracts that they have to decide whether to resign or let go. Then free agency. Then the draft. Those are kind of the jobs for a GM. It's a bit unusual to wait that late to hire a GM. Who will be making the personnel decisions? Rivera? 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Today will also be interesting, I sure hope NO wins as I believe they are the better team.

--- So @RetRN  are you happy about the Vikings win? I wanted the Saints to win.

Honored Contributor

Color me one happy, but shocked, Vikings fan.  I didn't think we'd come out on top of this one.  And even if they don't win another game this year, they did better than I thought they would this season.  Kaptain Kirk redeemed himself for the moment. 

Honored Contributor

yet another close and exciting game......so sorry saints fans, congrats vikings fans!

one more to go tonight......will it be close and exciting or a blowout and boring?

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@RetRN wrote:

--- So @RetRN  are you happy about the Vikings win? I wanted the Saints to win.

No, I am not happy. I didn't think they were the better team.